MINUTES

Spring General Meeting held on 7th March 2008

The Social Sailing fleet Spring General Meeting, which took place in the Members’ Bar at HISC at 11.0 a.m., was opened by Doreen Bennett, the Fleet Captain.  She thanked the 35 members present for attending and welcomed newcomers Ron & Eileen Wiltshire.

Apologies were received from Jean Baker, Jane & Barry Blaydes, Xan & Edward Carr, Belinda Cook, Richard Curties, Barbara Glasby, Rosemary & Gareth Gledhill, Jane Hooper, Julia King, Heather & Eddie Lewis, Sheila & Anthony Penfold, Sue & Richard Pratt and Adele Rizzi.  

Minutes of the A.G.M. 2nd November 2007 were reviewed by Doreen Bennett as follows:  It was discovered that the suggested trip round the Isle of Wight from Yarmouth back to Bembridge caused a problem as the tides would make this trip difficult and it will be investigated further;  the matter of individual discounts for Club members at the venues we visit will be checked during visits this season;  the suggested list of owners willing to take “passengers” has not yet been made up, but members seeking lifts should contact boat-owners direct where possible, or the organiser or Doreen several days before the event.
Acceptance of the Minutes was proposed by John Cook, seconded by Freddie Kemp and carried unanimously.   

Fleet Captain, Doreen Bennett’s, Report. I would like to record our sadness at the loss of Jean Hutchins last month.  I sent a card and a donation to the Alzheimer’s Society.
Many fleet members have enjoyed socialising through the winter by supporting our monthly lunches, Wednesday suppers and Trevor’s music, and also some interesting slide shows and talks. French lessons and Bridge continue very successfully, as do the Ladies Lunches,
Our thanks are due to Nick Griffiths and his staff for their hospitality.
John Beck and I have produced a very full programme for 2008 and I wish you all a very happy season with good weather.  

Treasurer’s Report.  Geoff Coop handed round figures showing the current financial position of the Social Sailing Group.  There is currently 355.25 in the kitty, less a few expenses still outstanding, viz. deposits for the Skittle evening and the reserving of the Dan Bran pontoon at Lymington.
No invoice has yet been presented for the cost of running the ferry last season, but there is enough money to pay this.  However, when the bill arrives for the 2008 ferry it may be necessary to seek another round of subs from members.  (At this time those members present who had not yet paid subs handed theirs to the Treasurer).    

2008 Programme – Update
Northney
has been booked.  The cost will be 7.20 per boat on the pontoons.  There is a new franchise at the marina at the side of the club building.  (Members were advised that lunch at the Langstone Hotel is expensive).  Itchenor, 17th April – Doreen will investigate the possibility of having lunch at the Sailing Club.
Folly Inn trips are booked at usual.  Haslar – John Cook will book after Easter.  Lunch or Dinner can be taken at the Lightship.  Paul Cook will look into the possibility of having a group meal at the Lock Fyne Restaurant at Gun Wharf, using Gosport ferry or dinghies.  Island Harbour trip is all arranged.  Tony Mills reported that the Marina will do a Barbecue for 8 per head approx, bring your own wine, further details of all arrangements nearer the time.  Hornet Club – Iris Long has written to book, but no reply received yet.  Poole trip – Basil Rizzi has booked Hayles Yard, Yarmouth, do your own thing for a meal, a pontoon is reserved at Lymington and Royal Lymington Yacht Club can arrange dinner, Cowes Corinthian can cater dinner.  A deposit has been paid for the visit to Gin’s FarmSouthsea Marina has been reserved, but no arrangements have been confirmed for lunch at The Bombay Bay, views are sought for this venue.  Pam Marr reported that C.Y.C.C. had been disappointed with the food at Warsash Sailing Club, but the booking will stand.
Christmas “Booze Cruise”
  Basil Rizzi has contacted Graham Smith of Brittany Ferries, and Paul Cook has e-mailed him, that we were disappointed with the trip last year and inquiries are in hand about different arrangements, or possibly a change of venue to Caen with an overnight stay ashore.  A Working Party of John Cook and Lyn Smith will look into this latter idea, and then approach Graham Smith.  It was agreed that Richard Curties and Carol Letten should be told of these decisions.  All members agreed that we would prefer a Social Sailing Group trip, not a full club arrangement.

Tenders  It was reported that the Tender Park has been reorganised after a lot of hard work by the working parties.  From last year’s list about 800 spaces will be needed for all classes of boats, but there are only 600 places available.  New members are being informed that they cannot bring dinghies to the club until the final membership list is known.

Trolleys It was announced at the Cruiser Meeting that TWO new big-wheeled trolleys are being purchased, but only two!!  It was agreed that more are needed urgently.  It was felt that it would be best to have the trolleys parked by the Scrutineering shed (half way between the pontoon and the flagpole).  There is a major problem with trolleys not being returned to the correct storage area.  Richard Smith agreed to raise the matter of the number and positioning of trolleys at the next meeting of the Management Committee.

Anti-fouling John Cook reported that the system had been rather fraught, especially considering the quality of the product last year.  He will be pleased to receive expressions of interest next autumn, but it is important that people taking part in this arrangement make firm decisions regarding their requirements as early as possible.

Any Other Business    Mike Cave expressed his thanks to everyone who sent him good wishes and cards on the occasion of his recent operation.
Mike Baker thanked everyone for their messages of goodwill for Jean who started her latest treatment yesterday.

Ferry  It was reported that the ferry will start operations after Easter.  This will probably be a rib at first as Selene is having a new engine fitted.  Members moorings were decided at the last Committee meeting and a list is available from the office.

Numbers Judy Cave reported that we now have 107 members of Social Sailing. 
Last year there had been a problem with numbers for particular events and everyone was reminded that it is very important that non-boat owning members contact organisers of events, as well as boat owners, so that numbers can be communicated to the venues to allow for correct catering.

It was pointed out that the notice advertising Social Sailing says “just turn up” and this is misleading.  Doreen Bennett will arrange for this to be corrected.    
(In fact, neither the Notice Board nor the Web Site has said this for the last three years JB)

Thanks  Richard Smith thanked Doreen on behalf of all the members for her hard work throughout the year.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 12.45 p.m.

 

SGM 2008