Saturday, December 21st

The last Soc Sail event of the year - this was well supported and all enjoyed the yummy salmon mouse starter with the usual turkey and trimmings to follow. The party was enlivened as usual by the whizzy balloons  and odd apparitions appeared with the modeling balloons supplied again by the Solo Fleet


Friday Lunches at HISC
held on the First Friday of the Month

These were all well supported culminating with the AGM held, belatedly due to Julia’s funeral,
on the 7th of December.


on Monday, September 29th
HW  - 15.56.  WIND 10-12 knots NNW

Before Richard and Lyn left for Greece, it was discussed that as the only three boats going at the time were not based on HISC moorings,  a ferry need not be booked.  Unfortunately, later that week we heard from Sue and Garry Gwinnell-Smith who said they were coming in Manana.  This made a total of 20 people for lunch, and we had to seriously apologise to Sue and Garry for not re-organising the ferry.  A lesson to be learned. They came by car and we apologised profusely..
On our departure the fog was quite thick but on our approach it lifted at around Easthead when we spotted Paul on Gundog in front of us.  He had of course come along the seafront in thick fog!
Richard and Sue Pratt had agreed to take Barbara and Peter Glasby and their daughter, home from Canada, to CYC but on the pontoon that morning their daughter came to apologise that they couldn't make it. 
We hope they recovered OK. This brought the numbers down by three.
John Cooke and Jenny came in Audacious, so with us in Naughti Lady there were four boats in total
CYC had apparently had an electrical breakdown in the morning and threatened to do only a cold lunch but managed to produce their usual high quality hot lunches after all.  It developed into a lovely day and some of us sat outside for lunch.
Report from Monica - organiser


on Wednesday, September 24th
HW - 12.30.   WIND 10-14 knots NNW

Itchenor was very successful, as usual.  We had 6 boats, viz. Proud Moment, Seldom Seen, Audacious, Sea Harrier, Stewpot and Gundog.
We were pleased to have Mike Baker with us, Edward & Xan crewed him.  Paul Young came from Langstone single-handed, we went with John Cook.  The sailors were able to have a gentle sail home.
Report from Barbara - organiser


on Monday - Friday, September 8th-12th

What an amazing week - a high stuck over the British Isles and summer was back again with winds from the N-NE every day!
Some people stayed on board on the Sunday night ready for an early start on Monday which comprised of motor/sailing out to the beacon against the tide. Once there, it was  cruising chutes  - Proud Moment, chute only, Aurora and Sugar Glider plus main - the latter goose-winging and going in a direct line to the Medina, whereas Aurora carried on on a broad reach along past Portsmouth. She then gybed and arrived at the small boats channel into the Medina just behind SG, though both were overtaken by Stewpot motoring in a hurry out of Langstone. Seldom Seen left later and carried a full spinnaker to Osborne bay for lunch, motoring on to the offshore pontoon at the Folly and mooring up behind Eva Rose. They were shortly joined by the Williams in their new small cruiser, just for this day.
All the others were able to get into the Marina at Island Harbour on free flow and were joined by Steorra  from Hamble, Gundog from Langstone and Silver Moon.
A lovely spot for a Pontoon Party hosted by Stewpot, and the restaurant, eventually, served the 27 of us with an excellent menu despite being a chef short.
A walk home to the Folly for those who came by tender turned into a wary paddle  as the High tide had flooded the path!
Tuesday - most boats left on the free flow but Sugar Glider opted to go early and try the lock. Not much wind so it was playing with chutes again or doddling along in the 4 knots of tide with just the jenny to Yarmouth. Seldom Seen tried out a chute that they had discovered a while ago in the bowels of their boat but it was decided it was originally meant for a much smaller vessel!
In Yarmouth we were joined by Karma and Sunmaid.

As it was a short sail, there was  time for an afternoon walk or shopping before  a Presentation Pontoon Party.
Proud Moments provided some very nice bubbly and were then given a small gift by John Blake but from everyone, in honour of their 47th Wedding Anniversary.

picture - Tony Aitken
more pics here

31 people went off for dinner at the Royal Solent YC which was as good as usual with stunning views of the Solent
Wednesday dawned with a bit more wind and from the East, so it was a frisky fetch with the odd hitch to the mouth of Beaulieu River and thence to Buckler's Hard where we were all to be moored up on the long walk ashore pontoon. After assorted instructions as to depth at low water we arranged ourselves depending on our requirements - or so we thought!
Plenty of time for a walk into Beaulieu for a cream tea or for an exploratory tender trip before the Pontoon Party, this evening hosted by Steorrafeeding swans1.

The tide was dropping and  the skipper of Steorra suddenly realised that his hull was way out of the water and the boat was leaning heavily onto the pontoon with Eva Rose on the outside in a similar pickle.
The swan took advantage of leftovers from the party  and the waterline of Steorra can be seen well above the water level.
Picture Alan Clarke

Seldom Seen, towards the shallow end, was leaning towards Karma with rather a lot of tension on the ropes.  Behind them Sugar Glider and Gundog and then Stewpot and Proud Moment were all OK. After a word with the harbour master the deeper boats Steorra and Eva Rose and then Aurora and Sunmaid all moved back one space to deeper water and so did not go aground early next morning and Seldom Seen rested happily on her bilge keels.
Later drama, Margaret was feeding the swans again off Stewpot. Her glasses fell off, landed on the guard rails and then descended into the murky depths! A  fishing line was produced and with this mini grappling hook Barry eventually fished the glasses out of the water!

bucklers hard mooring
 A few folks went to the pub for supper but for most it was a quiet night in - a bit too quiet as when the wind dropped the aroma at low water from the adjacent sewer outfall was not pleasant!

Picture of all our boats taken from near the sewer outfall!

Picture - Ray Stewart

Thursday and the wind got up nicely for a beat along the coast to the Hamble - but then dropped as we all played dodgems with container ships coming and going!
Sunmaid arrived a bit too early so tied up to the fueling pontoon. Most folks managed to arrive at slack HW when it was much easier to get into the finger pontoons. Later we watched as a small motor boat failed to allow for the tide and ended up broadside on to a row of transoms!
The Pontoon Party tonight was hosted by Sugar Glider with help from others. The pontoons did not seem as buoyant as some and soon they were weighted down and Sugar Glider's fenders showed signs of popping out. Then it was off to the RAFYC for an excellent supper with good service, some provided by a young lad of 6’10” in stature with good long arms for reaching. We sat down 28 people as more had joined us by car.
Friday dawned dull but breezy and people set off at slack LW. SG made a long tack out towards the Forts, stopping to reef when the wind hit 22 knots. Gundog motored out to the middle and sailed a bit till the wind became too strong, then motored home to Langstone. SS motored out to over the Bramble bank and then sailed to Priory bay for lunch. Aurora was going on so passed her crew over to Stewpot and PM set sail for one more night at the Folly. Eva Rose arrived back home just after SG and the others returned to their respective berths in Hamble.

Many thanks to all the organisers for these events - Margaret for Monday, Lyn for Tuesday and Wednesday and Anthony for Thursday and to the various people who hosted the pontoon Parties - it was a great week!


Meanwhile, Anthony did a bit of bird spotting and has sent a list to which have been added a few more in italics


Little Egrets
Redshank (Migrants back for winter)
Pied Wagtail
Curlew (probably back from breeding on northern moors)
Black Headed Gull (winter plumage not much black)
Herring Gull (Green Grey legs)
Lesser Great Black Backed Gull  (bigger with blacker back and yellow Legs)
Sparrows ( in village)
Blue Tits ( In woodland behind yard)
Swallows (catching flies close to water, about to go back to South Africa)
Red Breasted Merganser (I think, just above Ginns farm. Winter migrant diving duck.)
Cormorant  (at entrance)
Small flock of feral Greylag geese - up at Beaulieu
Robin sitting on rock by sewer outfall!

 In Solent

Common Tern
Gannet - last week 


Oystercatcher (at entrance)
Turnstone (on pontoons in river)
Jackdaws  ( On shore line) 

I expect some people saw other birds as well. I was meant to be concentrating on sailing/steering the boat!

No Brent Geese yet, they will be back early October though I think I saw one off Pilsey Island when cruising in the Solo a week last Thursday. One or two stay in the harbour all summer.


on Tuesday, September 26th 

A rainy, windless day dissuaded most people from sailing around and only two boats ventured out of Chichester harbour into Langstone - Naughti Lady and Seldom Seen - with Captain aboard, as Proud Moment was still out on loan!
Both boats parked comfortably on Ray’s pontoon.
So, of the 42 people and 1 child who arrived, most had come by car with ample parking arranged in adjacent houses - and one tandem bike carrying the Carters!
Fortunately the sky lightened about 1 pm and we were able to wander between the magnificent new tent/marquee - bought especially for the occasion -  the BBQ under a big brolly and the drinks and salad bar under the veranda with delicious salads etc made by Margaret.
Starter drinks - a nice bit of fizz - brought by Richard out of funds - got everyone chatting happily - or merrily - before sitting down on new tables and chairs in the Marquee, which was now quite cozy despite being open on three sides to include the view of the Harbour.

stewarts garden 2

The Marquee was in fact erected over the platform covering the dry dock and Ray was marginally worried that it might not support the weight of the assembled sailors! The hanging baskets in each corner were an inspiration!
When people had eaten, Richard made a smallish speech thanking Margaret and Ray for hosting us all and for the tremendous effort that they had made to ensure everything ran smoothly. A bouquet of flowers was presented to Margaret and Ray received a nice bottle
Then it was announced that Anthony had brought along a large chocolate cake with which to celebrate his 75th birthday. The cake had a slight history in as much as it had originally been planned for John Ainsworth’s 80th birthday the week before  but Anthony did not get to Heidi’s in time to collect it!
Time to go home and the rain started again, albeit still with no wind!

Very many thanks to Ray and Margaret for hosting this most enjoyable lunch party.



on Monday to Wednesday, August 11th - 13th

This cruise, unfortunately, had to be canceled due to bad weather.


Tuesday, July 29th - Wednesday, July 30th

Another hot day with all threats of thunder and gales relegated. A light wind from the North allowed a fetch to Gilkicker for Stewpot out of Langstone and and similarly for Naughti Lady from Sparkes - although a slight problem with the main halyard hooking around a light fitting necessitated Monica doing a quick trip up the mast first!
At Gilkicker, the wind went West so it was either a beat, or motoring.
Other boats from Hayling arrived in good order and parked on the Offshore pontoon - Wild Thyme, Aurora, Silver Moon and later Eva Rose. Gundog from Langstone was spotted parked in Shepards Wharf - shopping again!
Meanwhiule, Sugar Glider limped out of Bembridge when the tide allowed and carefully fetched the first Fort under Genny whilst the water cooling inlet was attacked with the latest tool - a bottle brush. SunMaid was the last to arrive having made a last minute decision to come due to a cancellation in the busy life style!
With a couple of hours to spare, trips were made ashore and the Restaurant  at the Island Marina sampled. It was extremely pleasant sitting with a drink on their cool balcony viewing green fields of ??? beside the yellow of the cut stubble.
All ferried off to the walk-ashore pontoon for drinks, and nibbles supplied by Monica and Margaret and where we admired the Pratts ‘new’ Motor Sailor, Elinor. Although they had had the boat for the past year she had been in dry dock having the cracked mast etc. replaced  and this was going to be their first night on board.
 Food at the Folly for the 23 people in the Hisc Party - good as usual and good value although the same could not be said for the drinks!  Service was a bit slow but they were very busy.
Next morning, spotted a solitary lapwing? flying off the river bank.
Early departure to get the East going tide and the Northerly wind which promptly died to a very fickle goose-winger from the west.

Many thanks to Margaret for organising this very pleasurable event


Monday  -Tuesday July 14th - 15th

 Having eventually managed to negotiate our way into the Club around the preparation for the Moths, we finally got on Selene about half an hour late.
A light WSW wind and a now rather stronger ebb tide meant that we had to motor sail out of the harbour. For Sugar Glider and Seldom Seen pacing each other, it was then a close fetch in a wind that gradually died. Having finally decided to remove all sails and just as we crossed the main channel, a reefable wind arrived - but right on the nose!
There were a few problems berthing because of the now strong cross wind and a particularly strong gust sent Louise onto the rather solid bowsprit of Stewpot causing a minor dent in her pulpit rails. Proud Moment, Kusi and Naughti Lady were already safely parked and Aurora and Excalibur arrived shortly parking up 3-abreast.
In the evening, those without dinghies took the water taxi, being landed on the steep, rather smelly beach with the tide well down and a sandy walk up to the Clubhouse..
We then had a very interesting conducted tour by Mike, a longstanding retired secretary of the Club. We all admired the old clubhouse, built in 1886 with a canceled order of a cricket pavilion destined for India. This was erected on pillars rescued from various old boats. The new Clubhouse is very stylish and has magnificent views all around the harbour with a fireplace on the side! We all admired the collections of old photos and paintings and especially the collection of huge tillers that were around the walls - unfortunately without provenance.
Click here for more info and history
Twenty of us sat down to a lovely meal with attentive service and aforesaid views

Next day it was quick departure for some or a longer walk for those staying on.
A shorter walk for those not in a hurry went as far as the Baywatch Cafe through the National Trust of Duver Down and the mass of Sea Buckhorn which is voraciously engulfing the paths and beach huts - literally. Apparently, this area is going to be designated as an SSSI alongside the large area already managed by the RSPB.

For those going home, a SSW wind gusting up to 18 knots made for a rather rolling goosewing ride

For your information, the Harbour is called Duver Marina.
The bit that we park in - the visitors pontoon - is Bembridge Marina.

A great many thanks to Lyn for organising this event which went without a hitch


Monday, June 30th - Friday, July 4th

MONDAY Rather cold - no sun and 10 - 11 knots of wind from the SE with lots of black clouds trying to form more water spouts.
The fleet, Proud Moment, Sugar Glider, Naughti Lady and Seldon Seen ran under  jib once in the main channel, although Stewpot arrived with main as well having had a good sail all the way from Lanstone. They were joined by Manana, Amorita Two and Phoebe
Alec, in the new club rib, SWORD, ferried us all ashore from our moorings where we were joined by those who had arrived by car and Jane H on her bike!  We picnic-ed and shivered a bit in front of the Thorney Clubhouse but enjoyed watching the sailboard instruction. After lunch, most of us went for a walk to view the old church and muse on the gravestones.
Apparently, although Thorney used to be RAF it is now all Army and behind the Club house is being built a new Army Watersports Centre with a new floating pontoon possibly in the offing and lots of new dinghies and sailboards.
About 2.30, for want of a better plan in view of the fact that the tide had not receded very much, Alec was ferried out to the rib in Stewpot’s tender!
The evening at HISC was very much enjoyed; John outdid himself with the supper and a jovial time was had afterwards with music in the adults bar.
Thanks to Lyn for organising all this

TUESDAY - Lots of sun but 20 knots of wind from the East.  This deterred most of the Solos and only 3 started for their Trophy Race - THE DELL QUAY DASH.
However, there were boatloads of people to be ferried out but most of the boats would have had to motor to Dell Quay
 On arrival, where the the wind had abated as it was so sheltered here, the four launches - Amorita Two, Phoebe, Heron and Watershed, moored up on the Harbour Masters pontoon  and the Solos were directed to a chain specially laid for them to moor to. The cruisers, Seldon Seen, Proud Moments, Stewpot, Aurora, Excaliber and Audacious, were given directions relayed through the rib and Ch37. The rib then ferried crews ashore, the last lot arriving on shore in a fairly merry state by 1.30.
 54 people enjoyed a very good meal with the Commodore and helpers clearing the plates for us and serving a lovely lemon cream tort for pud. Richard gave his speech of thanks, Barbara presented a few thank you gifts and everyone departed for their boats/cars.
Jane and Barry motored around to Itchenor Office with a bit of Chimet - which is still poorly after the lightening strike in January -  and watched both the fleets run through under single sails
Thanks to Barbara and Jane (a bit) for organising this slightly complicated day.

WEDNESDAY. Lovely sunny day with 11-12  knots just W of S So it was a run all the way though most people motored through Itchenor where the wind headed anyhow! Slightly hazardous arrival for latecomer Sugar Glider as the lock was just opening to let out 4 boats and there was another waiting to get in. So there was some hovering about trying not to hit the bottom in not much water before heading carefully for an inside berth. Sugar Glider is usually late as she is right at the end of the moorings so is the last to be ferried out and then has further to go! Lolita was observed from this mooring going in the opposite direction up to Emsworth and she did not materialize at CYC. Other boats moored up in the shallow water were Phoebe, Amorita Two and Daydream (latterly Fantasy!). On the outside were Seldom Seen, Proud Moment, Stewpot, Excalibur  and Naughti Lady
Usual good food and company and we were all able to sit out in the sun on the lawn with admonishings from Trevor to clear up after us!
Many thanks to Trevor for his usual, hassle free organisation!

THURSDAY  and time for the picnic on Easthead. Lovely sunny day again but again with winds gusting to 20 knots from the SW. Same boats but minus Sugar Glider and plus Pendragon. The Club Rib ferried about 40 folks ashore

FRIDAY Really hot day for those at  the club, swimming and lunching.

2014 BBQpic Unfortunately, the weather did not hold for the BBQ and the forecast rain arrived on the dot at 8pm. Some hardy folk faced it out in the tents and gazebos whilst the not so hardy managed to squash indoors. There was not enough space for all of the 75 guests to come in so some people missed Richard's speech thanking all the organisers for the week. This is a picture of the Gledhills garden - the day after!
Many thanks to Rosemary and Gary for all their hard work organising this event


Monday to Friday, June 9th - 13th

Monday, a fine day with a rather variable southerly wind which gradually veered to the SW and strengthened. In fact, the wind disappeared totally going through the Forts and then more motoring was required past Cowes in order to beat the East going tide. Early birds picked up moorings in the main channel  and later arrivals rafted on the moored boats - Sunmaid, Eva Rose, Steorra, Excalibur, Pendragon, Silver Moon, Quiver, Wild Thyme, Aurora, Freya, but others preferred to anchor in the East Channel  - Stewpot, Seldom Seen, Proud Moments, Sugar Glider, Louise, and Gundog, the latter having spent  a few hours awaiting the higher tide as he had gone aground on the west bank outside the entrance! That is 16 boats with 38 people ashore!
 Ashore, where everything had been set up under  the SS flag by Richard and Kevin,  the predicted rain arrived just as the BBQs were lit. In typical English fashion it was ignored and a good time was had by all despite some of the BBQs not working terribly well!

Delia at BBQ_resized_2


The picture is of Delia sitting next to the remaining signpost which guarded the tern nesting area, the others and the fencing having been vandalised by previous visitors, the which vandalism we remedied as we tidied our rubbish and left.


Tuesday produced rather a lot of wind from the west. Mizzens and - or - Gennys  were the order of the day to get us to Lyminton where it was all hands on deck to moor the boats with an off-pontoon wind. Louise, arriving first, had had problems!
Silver Moon kindly hosted the Pontoon Party but ended up with pink decks when a box of red wine overturned!
 A lot of smart ladies and gents - 36 in all -  made their way to the Royal Lymington YC for a sumptuous dinner with attentive waitresses.
Wednesday and  there were a few crew changes and also plan changes due to the forecast later on of a NE wind of either F1 or F5 neither of which made for a reasonable return from France or Alderney! So it was off towards Studland Bay instead for most of the fleet  although three boats - Sugar Glider, Steorra and Silver Moon, decided against battling the westerly F5 and went to Yarmouth instead to enjoy the next couple of days of brilliant summer.
 About 10 boats planned to go into Parkstone Marina with the usual Pontoon Party and then  20 people were booked into the Parkstone YC for a non-posh supper as it was their racing night . Of the 3 boats anchoring in Studland Bay, Sunmaid motored home on Friday and the other two went West.
Thursday - did anyone go onto Weymouth?
On Friday for those returning to HISC from wherever,  it was motoring all the way with no wind from the NE and hot sun.


on Monday to Wednesday, June 2nd - 4th

Leaving the moorings, Sugar Glider and Seldom Seen had to motor sail out of the harbour against wind and tide - although Picaro chose to sail!
 It was a fetch to the forts where the wind ceased totally for a bit but came back fairly soon and increased to reef intake strength. Those coming out of Langstone - Stewpot and Gundog -  came through the Dolphins and tacked to lay Cowes at about Gilkicker buoy. Proud Moment sailed straight out from Bembridge where she had gone the previous night. Arriving at Cowes, the Marina manager of the Yacht Haven gave very precise and helpful instructions, i.e , you will be starboard side on - on how to get into the 3 deep finger pontoons. Kusi and Sunmaid were already in place and Naughti Lady  arrived shortly after having hoisted her mizzen for stability. Most people had noticed the Queen Elizabeth - cruise liner - seemingly aground on the Bramble Bank but later making her way into Southampton.cowes

A happy pontoon party in the evening, celebrating the birthday of Chris Raynor with a bit of bubbly, and then off to the Island SC which had opened especially for us and provided a very good meal with excellent service, for which they were thanked by Richard.

Next day, and the rambling party of 7 and 1 dog set off around the coast  to Gurnard where a very good restaurant for lunch was found followed by the discovery that the rest of the Coastal path had been washed away. This necessitated some map reading to find footpaths back cross-country to Cowes.
 Another jaunt was made to Ventnor to see a NT garden and others pottered around Cowes etc .Meanwhile, Sunmaid had to go home but Excalibur arrived in her place.
In the evening, half the fleet partook of Fish and Chips aboard Stewpot whilst the rest took themselves off to Murray's restaurant; and Sugar Glider's crew went to watch the racing from the Island SC and also some WW2 fighter and bomber planes flying around in formation - or not.
Next morning,  watched the rain drops running down the hatch cover and windows and hoped  desperately that they were all outside! Listened to loud broadcast from the very busy Survey boat  (mid right edge of picture) about a fire in its Forrest Accommodation?
Due to the forecast of a gale ‘soon’,  everyone took themselves off to run homewards by 9 am. A leisurely 8 knots gradually increased to 20 by the West Pole Beacon where it was deemed sensible to drop the main rather than gybe, but  all boats were in by about 1pm when it really started to blow.

Many thanks to Richard and Lyn for another well organised  event for 21 people.


on Friday, May 23rd

Was canned due to totally unpredicted 30 knots+, on top of  an ebb to get out of the Chichester and Langstone harbours.
However, 21 hungry folks arrived at the Lightship by car and enjoyed a very good lunch with lots of chitchat and interesting views of boats of all sizes going past.
Exiting the Lightship we all had another look at the three museum ships parked alongside - where we usually moor up - and admired the workmanship and present condition of the old wooden hulls of two Minelayers and an RAF rescue boat.
Thanks to John for organising this and also organising our entry  on foot actually into the marina! His minimal speech encompassed exciting, forthcoming events.


Tuesday - Friday May 13th - 16th

Summer at last and no gales!
Seldom Seen - with Captain aboard - set off with Sugar Glider on a close fetch and were shortly overtaken by MB Kusi . Kusi stood off a bit  from the Island which was wise as Excalibur and Aurora arrived too early in Bembridge and got rather wet. The large cloud was viewed with some trepidation as it moved wetly along the Island, but blew up to only about 18 knots with some shifts. This, however,  was enough to make yachting too uncomfortable for dog Poppy, so SS - which is sans carpet in the cabin - was obliged to lower sail and motor the last bit. Our Captain and crew regained their abandoned boat - Proud Moment, and Naughti Lady, Stewpot, Audacious  and later Gundog arrived in good order after the rain had moved on.
The BBQ was announced as being off due to the tent having been blown over, but the Marina crew worked hard and reinstated it and as the sun came back out again we were all able to cook and eat outside before it became too cold.

  Wednesday -
  ashore on


Nine of us and two dogs walked around the coast.
We went up to  the Yarbor ough monument stopping for coffee at an amazing
little beach cafe - just opened by a couple of Cypriots. Lunch was partaken
of at the Pub on top of Culver Down - also very recently re-opened. 


From the top there was a great view of the fleet and at about 12.30 we saw
Louise come in. Great views over the other side and of some multiple horned native brown sheep? Pity about the midges!
There were assorted routes home - direct or through the marshes.

Other people indulged in some shopping in Bembridge followed by a lunch party on board Kusi and yet others went steam train hunting
Supper at BHYC was exceedingly good  and very reasonable in price with excellent service by the new franchise run by Tara from S Africa

Thursday and some went home for prior engagements whilst the rest pottered off to Folly. PM and SS stopped for lunch in Priory bay whilst SG played with the cruising chute  and then passed Gunshot and Excalibur parked in Shepard's Wharf for a bit of shopping - for lettuce growing  in a pot?
On the Folly Visitors Pontoon, Naughti Lady, Audacious, Louise and Stewpot were already tied up together with new arrivals, Karma, Ayala, Fantasy  and Sunmaid. Some of these later moved over to the Folly Pontoon where we held an impromptu Pontoon Party before having our photos taken up the bridge and then making for the Folly Inn which was very busy as usual but still very prompt in producing our meals.
Richard’s speech was proffered before entering the Folly, wherein he thanked Lyn for organising Bembridge and Margaret for Folly, both Ladies having expended a lot of time and expertise in order to make our cruise enjoyable

Friday - and it was home early for some to get the easterly tide - SG explored the small boats channel out of Cowes in the wake of Gundog whilst Audacios ploughed through unperturbed!  It was a beat to Portsmouth entrance where the wind veered to allow a fetch through the Dolphins and home
Other boats were extending their cruise by going to Newtown Creek for a further 1-2 nights of glorious summer weather.


on Wednesday May 7th

Was canned - no-one fancied motoring all the way there against the wind and tide and then rolling home in up to 30 knots!

Of the two boats already on the Island in Bembridge, Seldom Seen left at 05.00  before the wind got too strong and to get in before the Chi ebb was too strong, and the crew of Proud Moment abandoned her and came home by Hover!

Very disappointing for Gary who had had a lot of hard work and some hassle organising this event


on Thursday, May 1st

Fortunately, the forecast  weather did not materialise! It did not rain - was merely a bit damp - until we arrived home on the moorings; and there was  just enough wind - about 10 knots - to sail both ways - although, in the afternoon, the predicted swing to the S did not happen.
It was a peaceful run up all the way to the Chichester Marina channel, with a rather peculiar sighting of a man fishing standing in the water about 100 yards off Pilsey shore!. The Chichester channel was another matter, however, and boats had to slow down as it was so busy with the lock being in free flow.
There were eleven boats in all - Kusi and Manana MBs, then  Excalibur, Aurora, Seldom Seen, Sugar Glider, Naughti Lady, Fantasy, Proud Moments, and Gundog and Stewpot which had sailed round from Langstone Harbour - taking up all the space on either side of the pontoon.
The Club was very busy and Richard felt he should not stand up and make a speech so he had to come round and chat to each table in turn; although he did stand up at the end and thank the Club for their hospitality and good food.
Angela also came round with a GET WELL card for everyone to sign for
Mike Baker who had just undergone major surgery
The return trip was a dead beat and any boats sailing waited till Chaldock to hoist. Sugar Glider and then Fantasy had a bit of a problem with the Winner Bank. They both sailed into the bay by the Dunes racing buoy with the thought of laying Mid Winner, but both then had to bear off rather sharply as the Bank seemed to have spread rather further East and shelved very rapidly!
Everyone back on their moorings and Clive was waiting alongside Sugar Glider - the furthest away boat - before they were quite ready.
 Many thanks to Clive who ferried us both ways

Also, thanks to Trevor for organising this, again, very successful event.


Wednesday, April 16th

Well, what an amazing start to the season of 2014!
Brilliant wall to wall sunshine with a nice breeze of 10 -17 knots from the SE
 This did, in fact, mean a beat for those that sailed, with rather a lot of shifts, especially nearing Itchenor, but with the tide with us it was still a quick journey. Eight boats rafted up on the visitors moorings; these were Phoebe, Manana and Audacious with the Sailing boats -  Proud Moment, Sugar Glider, Naughti Lady, Lolita  and  Ayala, the latter with new members Cathy and Terry aboard. This was their first, experimental trip out as they had only just purchased the boat - or half of her.
So we had an hour or so for coffee and drinks before going ashore on the heavily discounted Ferry c/o Richard where we met the Stewpots who had come in their BMW, Stewpot still being laid up in the back garden only half antifouled.  Ray and Margaret had only just arrived back from Tenerife where it had rained twice in the last three months!
There was a welcoming dining room at the Club all nicely laid out for us, of the which we took full advantage as, although the sun was still out, the wind was too cold to sit in. Forty of us sat down and enjoyed a menu of either Chicken parcel or Salmon - both of which were very good  - to be followed by Strawberries and cream and/or assorted coffees.
Met up with Nick again and learnt that he is expecting to be a Dad in August

Lovely run home in a slightly decreasing breeze made us a little late for the 4 pm pickup so Alec had to step in on his late shift

Many thanks to John and Barbara for organising a great day out.


Friday, April 4th

This event was very well attended and over 50 people sat down to Lunch. Richard reminded us of forthcoming events which were day trips and people without boats were encouraged to contact owners to join in.
As this event had been so popular it was suggested that it might be an idea to continue during the summer months which would enable those folks who do not have their own boat to get together on occasion.
It was also pointed out that the Ferry timings were quite early as on occasion it might be necessary to do 2 Ferry trips. This was because there is a limit for the number of persons allowed on board and it was hoped that people would abide by this and not harass the ferry drivers!
Meanwhile, Sugar Glider went out to sea a bit in order to check the wind direction  with a view to correcting the wind direction readings on CHIMET.


Friday, March 7th

This lunch coincided with the Funeral gathering for Lou Cook so the Club was generally rather busy


on Thursday, February 20th

It dawned another miserable rainy day but the sun had come out by the time we arrived at CYC - as usual.  Twenty of us sat in the quarterdeck all with lovely views of the harbour - with the tide in. Two redshanks were roosting on the end of the pontoon and we also watched a great crested grebe whilst partaking of the usual very good menu. Needless to say we had to have help with the coffee machines!
Lots of chatting about how to buy boats and maintain boats etc and then Richard did his ‘thank you and what’s next speech’ - which he kept to a minimum!
Afterwards several of us went for a two hour ‘muddy paddle’ up to Dell Quay, admiring the views of the  Sailing Club and the Pub enlivened by the sun. A solitary RS 400 was out in Birdham Pool having great fun gybing about in the freshening 25 knots. As the tide was in, lots of birds were roosting in the fields  - large flocks of oyster-catchers and even bigger ones of curlew, interspersed with geese and gulls etc. with a picturesque background of Chichester Cathedral appearing amongst the trees

Many thanks to Trevor and Monica for organising this, always popular, event.


on Friday, February 7th

Another very windy day! which hustled everyone inside. The Bar was laid up for 50 people - on the generous side supposedly but more chairs and tables had to be arranged as there were well over 60 people present. These included lots of new faces  - all made welcome  - and all ready and willing to pay their subs on time.
Judy circulated her members update forms which should make interesting reading
The visit to Bosham for Lunch was dispensed with for several reasons so
It was decided to insert another Lunch at Hisc at the beginning of April as there was space before we all set sail later in the month.

on Friday January 24th

27 folks turned out on this particularly damp and cold day to enjoy the atmosphere of Emsworth SC. The extra 2 entry fee - in lieu of members not getting a discount as we do - was duly handed over to Judy and an excellent menu enjoyed by all - although some had to wait rather a long time!
Meanwhile, on perusal of the Club’s notice board it was discovered that they were planning a ‘sunshine day cruise’ to the IOW in February, specifically to the Royal Victoria S C at Fishbourne. Several thoughts on this!
Judy shyly stood and thanked everyone for coming and then the staff were thanked and a collection made for them. In the absence of Richard, Gary shortly listed the next events and we all trooped out into the cold, no-one opting for a walk along the seashore this day!

Thanks to Judy for organising this event


Friday, January 10th

For the first event of the New Year, the bar was busy from 12 Noon with lots of chatter and we all eventually ate in the bar as well, which was warm and cosy.
Lots of people were away or double booked but there were still about 30 people enjoying John’s cooking.
Towards the end of the meal, Hazel Mills stood up and expounded on the forthcoming events - very briefly, but succinctly, and then - as she said - refrained from reading the next 18 pages - much to folks’ appreciation!