News 16


Reports by Jane unless otherwise stated


The last lunch of 2016 held at HISC was very well attended with over 50 people enjoying the varied menu


Winter lunches continue  on the First Friday of the month.

The AGM was held on Friday 4th November with 50-60 people attending.

 The minutes can be found  - click here - AGM 2016


 Thursday September, 29th

Unfortunately, the forecast 30 knots did not abate in time and no-one fancied trying to get to their boats via a rib off the beach! Thus, the only boat venturing out was Nomad from Sparkes with the Stewarts aboard as well, as they too considered that crossing Hayling Bay from Langstone might be a bit rough!
 Everyone else came by car and about 20 people enjoyed the usual good menu and convivial atmosphere. At one stage, Ray was asked if Nomad was going to beat home and the response was ‘not very likely as we didn't sail down’  Whaaaat??? Apparently, despite  a hefty following wind,  admittedly with a bit of rain, the crew opted to motor and sit in the nice warm penthouse drinking coffee and admiring the views!
Afterwards, six of us went for a walk towards Itchenor and watched the potatoes being harvested. When the trailer was full the tractor driver - who was Polish - took it away to unload and the driver of the tractor pulling the digger, sorter and conveyor machine came and chatted. He hailed from N Ireland and loved working from 6 am till 7 pm at the moment but nights as well when he was combining. He was never out of work which ranged from Canada to Germany. Lovely chat - who needs migrants?
Returning past Birdham, the sheds converted into new apartments - on the market  for over half a million apiece with lovely views over the working boat yard - were investigated. Apparently, regulations have been imposed on the yard and all its lifting equipment is being removed and replaced with a huge blue monstrosity on the other side of the Marina - in front of lovely old houses, the which we could not deduce how it functioned!
(Investigation next day revealed that it did a 360 degree swivel  from just above its base - sounds a bit more useful!)
Lovely day and thanks to Trevor for organising it

Problem - As Gary was away there was no-one to sort the HISC Ferry - apparently it is not within the remit of the event organisier    ?????


Monday, September 19th

A total lack of wind did not enthuse many sailors so only two boats motored up to Dell Quay - Seldon Seen and Picaro . They were escorted by Peter Wareham in a club rib who acted as Ferryman at HISC and Dell Quay. On arrival the boats picked up and moored side by side on the handy visitors buoy. Stewpot also did not sail round from Langstone - not fancying a chug against the tide across Hayling Bay; they also abandoned the idea of using the inner route in their dinghy as it was possible there might be no water under the bridge for the return!  The Stewarts arrived early by car and were found ensconced  inside by the Blaydes and Palmers who, having walked from Fishbourne, were rather hot and opted to cool off outside for a while with a coffee. They were shortly joined by the Caves who had also motored round. This splinter group promptly joined the others inside and then John Cook arrived to make our number up to a more reasonable 14.
Most people enjoyed their meal  - at a price.  Peter did stand up momentarily and utter ‘speech’ and then the boats left sharpish just after 2 pm, There was a worry about the crew not still being around to lift out the rib - although Peter was happy to spend the night on Aurora if necessary! The walkers left with the prophesied rain thinking about starting.
Many thanks to Peter for efficiently organising this cheerful event and alerting people to his choice of Ch 37 for communicating.


Thurs Sept 15th 2016

Report from Gary
Sindia and Seldom Seen, both with 4 aboard, departed promptly from the HISC moorings in glorious sunshine in a gentle breeze which, as always, was on the nose both ways for much of the way. John Ainsworth was single handed in Daydream and found the conditions to his liking enabling him to sail at good speed close to wind both ways. Nomad (3 up) and Emmy II (4 up) came from Sparkes and the Penfolds came from their home in Heron. The Caves, Stewarts, John Cook and Lyn Smith came by road making 24 in total. The lunch of Salmon followed by Crème Brulee was excellent with an omelette alternative. The ferrying was by the Itchenor SC bosun who also, later, provided Judy Cave, who has been missing being on the water, with a lengthy tour of the Itchenor trots . 
The temperature was 23C by noon so the conditions for Social Sailing were perfect. What a day for mid-September! Thanks to John Beck for organising this.


Click here for more pics from Tony -

Sunday - Friday, September 4th - 9th

SUNDAY 4th           HW 14.11  
Island Harbour  Marina & The Breeze Restaurant    
 We mostly left the moorings  by 11.30 am  but with 24 knots on the nose it was lots   of motoring, although Exclibur did hoist their small genny through the forts and Louise  managed to sail all the way. Nomad was a little later  and had a rather rough passage over the bar as the tide increased. For Sugar Glider going the Dolphins, the wind eased here  for a bit and buckets over the deck reduced! Stewpot started early from Langstone and made a quick passage so that Ray arrived in time to watch the F1 whilst Gundog coming a bit later had a rough ride. Steorra arrived from Hamble and joined Silver Moon.
Stewpot arranged a pontoon party and then the 17 of us walked up to the restaurant for a very enjoyable meal and evening.
Thanks to Margaret and Ray for their excellent organisation and attention to detail.

MONDAY 5th            HW 14.45  
 A few boats left early and locked out - Gundog, (temporarily borrowing Excalibur's spare crew), had to go the Shepherds Wharf to collect his crew from the ferry,  whilst the rest waited for freeflow and the tide to turn out of Cowes. Here the wind was about 20 knots on the nose but most enjoyed a good sail into Yarmouth.  Another 6 boats joined us here - Wild Thyme, June Dawn, Karma, Aurora Seldom Seen, and Quiver . They had very little wind so had to motor up to Cowes where there was some. Lots of chatting on the pontoons - Steorra disclosed that their furling main  operated best on starboard only -  and then find your-own-supper.

TUESDAY 6th           HW 15.18   
Royal Solent YC
 A very hot, humid day for arranging assorted walks  -  Needles and back down the Yar, along the coast to Colwall etc., or  bus rides on the Breezer around the Island. Fairly major disruption on V pontoon at teatime as three large ‘Ellen MacCarthur Cancer Trust’  boats arrived and disgorged their excited young crews and later welcomed another set on board. Lyn and Poppy also arrived as did Sunmaid from Hamble. Then the 15 boat crews were off to the evening venue where the members of the Royal Solent YC made the 34 of us very welcome and we all enjoyed Lyn's excellent choice of menu.
Gary, sporting a blue bow tie knitted by his  granddaughter,  made a relatively short speech and pointed out Mike as the next designate Fleet Captain.
A very pleasant evening  with great views over the Solent; thanks to Lyn for arranging all this.

WEDNESDAY 7th    HW 15.50   
Early morning picture taken off the back of Sugar Glider


Dawned blue and windless but by 10.30 a fair SE wind had arrived. Outside Yarmouth Marina, the F3  Yippee wind, allowing a nice fetch, rapidly backed to E and then NE which necessitated a few tacks before it veered again.


Pics by Jane

PaulBowspriteArriving in good time, a walk up to Beaulieu was in order  and, although setting off at different times,  surprisingly the Crews of SS, SG and Gundog arrived simultaneously at the garden center Tea room. Cream teas were ordered (with lovely lumpy jam)  which we did not feed to the sparrows - they helped themselves off the plates - and we all watched as Paul, very genteelly, ate a WHOLE cream tea with a knife and fork.
Previously, he had used other tools to fashion for Gundog a beautiful bowsprit with a piece of undiagnosed hardwood found in Goodwillies. Although easily fitted onto the bow roller, it was deemed far too lethal an accessory to wear into a Marina.
Meanwhile, after a nap, TT Wild Thyme and TT Louise set off up river to catch up. However, the engine of TT Wild Thyme ceased to function  properly but  was eventually restarted and the return journey accomplished, the TT Louise happily oblivious to any imminent disaster  Beaulieu-River-smallLater, a
pontoon party was arranged alongside SS with everyone bringing nibbles etc and a lengthy chat ensued with pics taken by Tony.

This picture, of all 14 of our boats on the visitors pontoon and  flying their flags, was taken by Monica.

Some folks went off to the Pub which did not turn out to be a great success while others resorted to some boat cooking

Birds - a pair of lapwing on the mud bank nearby were much admired; a couple of buzzards circled overhead and as dusk fell the tawny owls were in action - apart from usual birds  - egrets, curlew, etc

THURSDAY 8th    HW 16.29
Water's Edge Restaurant,  Mercury Marina
Sunmaid left the moorings first and had a super sail into the Hamble doing 7 knots passing Calshot  with 25 knots behind!.
Wild Thyme, Steorra and Quiver were going home anyhow but several other boats - SG, SS,  June Dawn, Nomad and Stewpot also decided to go due to a F7 forecast for the next day. However, these boats had to contend with rolling seas and a following 25 knots+ - carrying a genny or a half only - which was more than expected!
The boats opting for Hamble - Aurora, Louise, Excalibur, Gundog and Sunmaid,  all enjoyed what turned out to be some rather good food in the Water's Edge Restaurant, alongside the Mercury Marina
Many thanks to Anthony for his arrangements and sympathies  for his disappointment at only 11 people turning up instead of the 26 he had booked for.
 (For the records, those boats opting out paid £5pp as recompense to the restaurant)

FRIDAY 9th                 HW 17.19        Return HISC etc  in reasonable SW


Sunday - Thursday, August 21st - 25th

SUNDAY 21st         HW 14.21 HT 4.9 HISC
 However, Silver Moon left Itchenor, stuck their nose out of the Harbour and decided to brave the 26 knots. . They arrived at the Folly and next day had a pleasant walk along the newly constructed path by the river up to Newport, caught the bus back and explored the Church at Whippingham before retuning to Cowes YH.

 MONDAY 22nd          HW 15.06.  HT 4.9.  
Boats had left the moorings by about 2.30 pm but with the wind  at 22 knots and gusting to  26 from the SW it was M/S all the way through the forts for SS, SG, Louise and June Dawn. Slight contretemps with a Container ship which came through the forts just behind SS and SG and blasted off two hoots. Picaro bravely decided to sail and went through the Dolphins with a tack out to the Forts before applying the engine. Gundog left Langstone and made the mistake of going past Gilkicker where the gusts were up to 38 knots and then had an even more worrying time with the Container manoeuvering around Cowes!. Sunmaid fetched out of Hamble and Nomad  from Sparkes and Faolan arrived earlier.
A spontaneous Pontoon Party before going off to the Duke of York (not the Turk’s Head) where we were joined rather later by the crew of Picaro - making our number up to 25 - for a truly excellent menu.

Thanks to  Gary & Rosemary for organising this

TUESDAY 23rd          HW 15.54     HT 4.8
Unfortunately, June Dawn was obliged to go home and sort out their house where the alarm had rather worryingly gone off. Strong wind on the nose - so motoring all the way. Louise also left for home.
 After a bit of shopping in M&S for food  and Hurst’s for BBQs, the Plan was to anchor for lunch in Osbourne Bay and wait for the tide to turn. However, with a strong wind from the E- SE this option did not look very comfy so SG chickened out and conned SS into doing the same. It did transpire that intrepid sailors, Gundog and Picaro, did anchor there  but did not buy any ice-creams. So, most people found the edBalticTraderdy up to Gurnard and gennied along at a fair speed until the wind died.
 About this time SS called SG on Ch 16  and changed to Ch 6 for update on location and SG replied she was not far behind them and alongside a large Barge with two gaff sails set. Whereupon said Barge chipped in on Ch 6 and explained that ‘Queen Galadriel’ was not a barge but a Baltic Trader and they hoped we had a good day.
Shortly after, the wind veered and rose to 20 knots and then Nomad advised that NTC was chocker and that she and Sunmaid would continue to Yarmouth where they were later joined by Aurora who also failed to find a mooring in NTC. These three had a BBQ on the beach at Yarmouth on the west side of the Marina and spent a pleasant evening watching the antics of a rather large Clipper that went inside the channel marker and landed on the Black Rocks which were either to the E or W of said buoy -  arguments continue!
Meanwhile, in NTC, Gundog was just about to anchor between SS and SG when a Contessa from the R Southern YC - Rin Jinn with two women aboard - came alongside and dropped theirs before Paul, being single handed - could get forward. Words were exchanged and this rudeness has already NewtownNightbeen transmitted on Facebook
So SS, SG Gundog, Faolan and Silver Moon were then entertained by a procession of small dinghies - mostly Wight Scows - and very large ribs, before heading off for the usual patch on the beach at the entrance - which was a popular spot for several parties. Picaro arrived later  - again  - they will sail everywhere!. Back on moorings and a very peaceful night.
Thanks to  Gary & Rosemary for organising this.         Pic by Jane                                                              

WEDNESDAY 24th    HW 16.47    HT 4.6
Silver Moon, Picaro and Faolan opted to go to Beaulieu for the last night  which left SS, SG and Gundog to tender past about a dozen very large cruisers sporting the white ensign, upto the jetty. Here they were greeted by a helpful young man who explained that the RYS was doing its yearly ‘Swallows and Amazons’ week, were based nearby at Lr Hamstead Farm. and had provided a very superior - albeit temporary - metal ladder for the end of the rickety pontoon.
The long, and very hot, walk round the shore was very interesting, passing Hamstead Farm - noisy aggressive dogs - (but which did provide Barry with a couple of teaspoonfuls of sugar) and across fields (no bulls) to the pub at Ningwood. Excellent fare enjoyed under shade of huge willow tree. Shorter route back to jetty  and then to tea on SS.
 Here we were joined by Sunmaid whereupon the threatened rain arrived.
Thanks to Gary & Rosemary for organising this

THURSDAY 25th     HW 17.45
 All left NTC by about 10.30. Absolutely no wind - so motoring all the way back to HISC




     at  The Deck House, Ferry Road,
on Thursday, 4th August 2016  - HW 13.17  

deckhouse-garden2People started arriving at 12 noon and by 1 pm the BBQ was well underway with exotic salads provided by Margaret, although lots of folks bought their own elaborate picnics as well.
On the decking over the ‘Winter Harbour’, Ray and Margaret had erected, again, their fabulous tent allowing views over Langstone harbour but which provided protection from too much sun and wind or possibly rain which, fortunately, did not arrive.


rowing-homePlenty of wind dissuaded most sailors - a return over Chi bar with 25 knots over tide not being a welcome prospect. Excalibur, however did venture forth from HISC as did Paul, with Lyn as passenger, from the slipway near his house

Going home!

Pics by Raymar



Angela presented Ray and Margaret with some lovely flowers and a bottle in appreciation of their hospitality and hard work in the preparation and presentation of their garden and Gary finished with a short speech about the next Event


More pictures here - - or post your own

 Social Sailing Week
Monday, July 18th - Friday, July 22nd

MONDAY July 18th         Dinner at Mengham Sailing Club
Pre-meal drink in Gary/Rosemary's gorgeous garden was arranged for 6pm, from whence it was possible to enjoy a walk along the sea front or drive along Marine Walk to MRSC.
In fact, it transpired that it was John Cook’s 85th Birthday (although this was vastly under-estimated by most people) so he kindly provided the drinks and eventual cake.
Drinks at the bar were served by Carol and Gil Carter who had done all of the arrangements for the evening once Gary had set it up and we all sat down to a sumptuous feast provided by the caterers and thoroughly enjoyed the very pretty view, with and without water, through the Club’s panoramic windows. Short speeches by Gary, John and MRSC Commodore - Great evening to start the week with about 50 people attending!

TUESDAY July 19th   HW 12.04    HISC Ferry 10.00
Selene and Rib Sword ran a Ferry service to and from East Head for most of the day. Several boats also came - Picaro, Sindia, Excalibur, Sugar Glider,  Ribs Silex and Peka, and Stewpot who had had a fairly frisky beat round from Langstone and were therefore rather late in getting their BBQ. EHStingray SG and Stewpot planned to anchor overnight, Stewpot aground for most of the night so missing the strong winds whilst Sugar Glider was near the channel and gyrated rather alarmingly most of the time! - but had hilarious views of the antics of other boats anchoring -
- or not!
Picnics and BBQs were enjoyed with lots of swimming, some games and then a walk around East Head to enjoy the views and the masses of flowering Sea Lavender. A very hot day with wall to wall blue but fortunately lots of wind as well. About 35 people probably came and went during the day, the rib Sword, driven by Lyn’s grandson, Mikey, providing some excitement for Judith and David Archer on their return journey. A rib out of HISC had to be rescued due to engine failure which was, apparently, a rather wet exercise in the choppy water.
Thanks to Gary for organising the very obliging ferry service and everything else which just seemed to happen in the right order!

WEDNESDAY, July 20th   HW 12.42  HISC Ferry 09.30
This was Lunch at CYC. with lots of our boats mooring on the pontoon.SG-Crew4
Margaret was organising this to start with and just upped anchor from East Head to get there in good time. Meanwhile, in the murky weather but not quite raining, Sugar Glider had to return to HISC and collect another 5 family members  - the crew now encompassing 3 generations.
Pics by Barry

Now with a fairly stiff breeze from the SW most of the boats were happy to sail there under genny alone, Nomad with a very large genny passing SG at speed though Itchenor,  followed by Seldom Seen cautiously now under motor.
Ribs Silex and Peka, MBs Emmy 2 and Dragonfly arriving last, and the latest addition to the fleet, Faolan, a Sea Wolf 30, rebuilt from an insurance write-off after Katie and belonging to Anna and Viv Williams.cyc-july16-2
The clouds had disappeared and it was now hot so that there was a scramble for shade once in the garden, the best being under the trees near the water. Some found it cooler and more comfortable to be inside where the usual good food - especially the fish and chips -  could be enjoyed.
Lunch over - the family went shopping in the chandlery and found the new ice-cream van!
Wind was now rising and on the nose for return journey. Nomad carried the genny through Itchenor but it was mostly motoring home . It was a particularity rough ride  home to Langstone for Stewpot  carrying just a reefed genny - over the bar with big waves - on the ebb with a strong SW and then  reaching 32 knots at times across the Hayling front. Fortunately, the wind dropped a bit to allow them easier access into Langstone Harbour.
Thanks to Margaret and Trevor for their combined organisation.       Pic by Raymar

THURSDAY, July 21st   HW 13.22  HISC Ferry 10.00
It dawned dull and with a very fluky un-forecast wind from the NW. Sindia1 Aurora, starting a bit later managed to carry their Code Zero for a bit until their wind also disappeared. But it was motoring all the way for Sindia and Excalibur, and Sugar Glider who had to get there first to sell tickets!. Ribs Peka and Silex arrived early and we were very grateful to the Clarkes in Silex for their ferrying services from moorings to pontoon. MB Amorita arrived early and Heron brought up the vanguard with several couples arriving by car. Phoebe arrived a little later but only stayed for a drink as the Carters heeded to return before the water exited Mengham.
The sun came out but, fortunately, went back in again so it was very pleasant on the Dell Quay decking. The Dell Quay Team carried all the tables outside for all 32 of us, provided the usual nourishing and interesting Ploughman’s and delicious sweet - with coffee - and then cleared up after us. Their Vice Commodore welcomed us all and then Jane - organiser - thanked Beryl and her Team and all her helpers and presented them with a box or two of chocolates, which were gratefully received.Exalibur1
Reasonable wind after lunch but on the nose again. Sindia  hoisted her sails rounding into the Itchenor straight and Excalibur started first and did sail all the way with her new crew and new member Candy.  Sugar Glider caught up with them and had to slow down to let them across on starboard. However, Excalibur then tacked almost immediately which took Sugar Glider rather by surprise  necessitating  rather rapid avoiding action, but it did allow a close-up picture of their transom!
Pics by Barry

FRIDAY, July 22nd  BBQ Lunch this year was held at at  White Lodge, Gutner Lane, HI. the lovely, flowery, waterside home of  John and Marilyn Blake.BBQ-16-2
Gary and then Carol had done a great job of collecting bookings for the Salmon or Steak and then Carol had allocated dessert or salads for people to bring.
The weather was a bit indecisive but eventually came out on the hot wide and we were grateful for the shade of the canopies provided. 62 people eventually found their way there via the wriggly lane and a great time was had by all.
 A great many thanks to John and Marilyn and to Carol for organising the food.
Pic by Raymar
A fantastic week with no rain and  lots of sun, and with quite a lot of wind at times, albeit not in very favourable directions.

More pictures here -
Tony Aitken  can supply high-def pictures if contacted here


Return to Bembridge
Tuesday, 5th – Thursday, 7th July 2016

Tuesday 5th July     HW  12.59.   HT 4.8
All boats had left the mooring by about 11am and headed off against the tide but with a good following NW  which gradually rose to 20 knots necessitating a bit of sail reduction -    litchfieldexcept by Wild Thyme who steamed along rather rapidly with everything up. Sunmaid had arrived a day early from Hamble in order to visit relations but Quiver, Karma and MB Emmy Two were well settled by the time Sugar Glider, Proud Moment  and finally MB Dragonfly arrived. The new boat on the block -  Ameritex - with Peter and Karen Litchfield aboard chose to berth in the Premier Section i.e. with finger berths and delivery of morning newspapers and croissants  and with a cost to cover it all but as far from the facilities as one could get!
Picture by Jane
After a leisurely afternoon pottering about, Lyn entertained us all on the pontoon before her expert organisation found us at the SocSailPontoon%20July2017Baywatch Cafe on the Beach, which served the most excellent menu and all 17 of us had a great evening. Lyn, however, had not had the best of days -;in the morning, she was early to arrive  at HISC and walked across the newly dug-out beach into which she sank up to her hips - fortunately, rescue was at hand quite rapidly. Then at lunchtime, she left a half eaten meal to speak to someone and Poppy kindly finished it off for her. Finally, at the end of the day she had to take a hacksaw to the padlock to get back on PM!!   Picture by Tony
Wednesday 6th July -  A windless day so the boats leaving - PM, Sunmaid, Wild Thyme, Emmy Two and Dragonfly had to motor all the way.
This left the crews of Karma and Ameritex opting for a leisurely stroll, with the water taxi to the other side, coffee in The Shed in the village and then, after walking the coast, lunch in the Mediterranean Beach Cafe, both excellent venues and  the latter providing very filling snack lunches / cream teas. On the return walk a visit to the Lifeboat Station - well recommended  - was included.
The crews of Quiver and SG decided on a more lengthy progress. Caught a bus to the Med Cafe on the beach for coffee and then walked up to the Culver Haven Pub for amazing all round views - watched gannet and kestrel hovering -  and a good sandwich lunch before taking the high road back along the top. Spotted a square field of poppies  down in Yaverland - quite spectacular next to fields of yellow rape. Apparently there are several fields over the island - are they growing poppy seeds or are they memorial poppies?. And then we found, inside the moat of the fort, what at first appeared to be a small cow but then, when its companions were spied  in the shade, turned out to be huge, black horned goat/sheep. Lovely wild flowers including several specimens of the pyramid orchid.
Back down through the marshes to the Windmill for a quick look round and an ice cream! and then finish the 9 mile walk along the Yar Trail to the water taxi.
Everyone ate on board that night after assorted drinks and Raven2chatter.
Thursday July 7th  HW 14.30  After rumours of a raven being seen, a sorty was made back along to the Beach cafe and two were spotted. Apparently they are nesting in the pines behind the Cafe but there are more on the Culver Cliffs - a  more natural place for them but sans snacks. Quick coffee and back to the boats where there was a light SW for a bit of a sail on the return trip before the wind dropped off.
                         Picture by Barry

More pictures here



 Sunday, June 19th - Saturday, June 25th

More of a puddle and mop it week !

SUNDAY Most boats had left the moorings by 11 am and motored out the harbour against the tide and the SW wind. It was possible to motor sail to the forts and then sail for a bit. Stewpot sailed to the forts in one hitch and then to the shore opposite NTC in another before motoring into Yarmouth. All took about 5 hours - except June Dawn who came out of Cowes where they had spent the weekend with family  - and arrived about 4pm. From Cowes to the West the weather deteriorated into a heavy drizzle with poor visibility and it continued to rain all night  producing assorted leaks!
Crews of SS, SG Louise, Gunshot, Silver Moon went to the Indian and those of PM, Stewpot and Nomad went to the Wheatsheaf for supper
MONDAY Still raining and blowing so shopping was order of morning . The rain stopped at lunchtime and various walks were undertaken, via bus and then across Tennyson Down or just up the Old Track for Cream tea at the the Cafe at the End. The sun came out for a lovely evening to enjoy some home-cooking aboard.
TUESDAY  A bight sunny start with a a forecast of 3-4 SW-W which rose to F5 and then
32 knots for Gundog
June Dawn’s skipper caught an early Ferry to Lymington to collect a new anemometer, returned and climbed mast before setting off a bit later! Meanwhile SG set off early and battled a bit around Hurst Castle but was soon overtaken by Stewpot who led the way, all sailing a close fetch. We meandered all through the channels around Goat’s Point and Stewpot anchored nicely. SG parked in front suddenly realised her anchor was dragging and ended up in the shallows behind Stewpot. Just got re-settled and Gundog arrived and also dragged to alongside SG. Help was required as Gundog was single handed but to avoid lowering the engine SG required a rope from Gundog; thSS to Pooleis proved difficult as the boats were swinging in the tide but Barry eventually got aboard. Meanwhile, June Dawn arrived and parked in Gundog’s space!
SS eventually arrived  - celebrating arriving in virgin territory, having failed to find the North entrance to the Harbour, the boat only knowing the way to Studland Bay and not having anyone to follow.
All settled and it was time for drinks and much merry and lewd conversation aboard Stewpot!  Meanwhile. Louise  had gone to the Town Quay, Nomad had sailed off to Weymouth and Silver Moon and  Excalibur parked around the corner off Pottery Pier
Wready to walkEDNESDAY


brownsea beach




June Dawn took off for the Town Quay for another rendezvous and the remaining crews snuggled into two tenders and made the rather long journey to Brownsea Island, SS  not expecting the battery for the electric engine to last sufficiently.
Walk from beach through oak woods ( no squirrels ) to cafe with peacocks on Quay for lunch and back.
We heard that Steorra was unable to leave Yarmouth to join us because of the fog
Motored around to Parkstone Haven YC Marina  where Stewpot‘s 7ft keel had some trouble with the rocks at the entrance!
Supper in the evening at South Deep Cafe with an unusual, but appreciated, Tapas menu where we were joined by crews of SM and Gundog, and  Louise and June Dawn who earlier had had a very interesting tour around the Lifeboat manufacturing plant. Apparently there are going to be built this year six new Shannon boats as replacements -
THURSDAY Extremely hot and humid morning. Crew of SG walked to the Town Quay and spotted Excalibur, June Dawn and Louise all waiting for no fog and some wind before departing for Weymouth, Alderney etc.
Returning to the Marina, SG and Stewpot set of for Pottery Pier -  in the rain, Gundog, now with crew, returned home and SS and SM took off for Studland Bay for walks in the rain and supper at the Studland Bay pub.
At Pottery Pier, Stewpot decided to stay aboard - and entertain the harbour Master who arrived to complain that we were parked too near the channel, whilst crew of SG went ashore to explore the Nature reserve and look for squirrels. The first one was spotted as it ran across the garden of the cafe ( yet another cream tea),  another one on the boardwalk through the marshes and the third in the reserve near the tern islands - or it may have been the same one each time. Weather cleared for a gorlurid gennygeous evening
FRIDAY dawned wall to wall blue which did not last as forecast SW F5 set in. Stewpot and SG left Poole before very strong tide through entrance got going and enjoyed best sail of the week - very broad reach enabling up to 8 knots through the water - SG with one reef and Stewpot with just genny. Nearing Hurst, we were joined from Studland by a rather lurid, puce and purple furling genneker with silver moon imposed.hasty retreat




All anchored in Newtown Creek and time for a snooze before being invited aboard Stewpot  for drinks at 6. Now, Stewpot was anchored in fairly shallow water and after about half an hour Ray noted that they were aground and then that the mud was rapidly approaching the transom, This did not matter until it was realised that the tenders were also going to go aground and we might not get off. Hasty and rather dodgy retreat  as the dinghies tended to slide under the hull of Stewpot when landed on!
SATURDAY Dead low water and not a lot of wind. Some sun but lots of black clouds around. SG left first with all sails set but just past Cowes the black clouds loomed and suddenly the wind went from 5 - 30 knots+ which necessitated a rapid drop of mainsail. The bolts of lightening were spectacular as was the rain which, as Ray remarked later did at least, clean away the Newtown Creek mud !  It also obliterated the forts for a while!
Meanwhile, SS who had remained at Studland in order to walk to Corfe, started out at 6.30 am  - got a bit lost in the fog , arrived at Freshwater Bay  rather than Hurst - but made it home just after SG. They then got exceedingly wet getting home in Selene.
Despite all the dampness, this was a very good, mix-it-all-up week and many thanks to Gary for organising everything


 Monday, June 6th - Friday, June 10th

hmsdragonMONDAY, June 6th  HW 13.12   HT 4.9   Hisc Ferry 10.00 -  A light wind of about 8 knots from the SE meant some motoring for a while but we were then able to goosewing past the forts and observed an unusual naval vessel - the D35 - HMS Dragon  anchored nearby. Do we have 35 Destroyers?
 Pictures off Sugar Glider

nomadcowesAll boats - Stewpot, Silver Moon, Nomad, Sugar Glider, Excalibur, Seldom Seen, Gundog, Wild Thyme, Steorra, Quiver, and Emmy 2 ( quietly tucked in at the front by herself) - arrived by 3 pm and we were all bundled into the southern part of Shepherds Wharf. The bottles were promptly produced (!) before a bit of a nap and then off to Supper at ISC - There was a good varied menu to choose from and we all enjoyed sitting out on their veranda and then inside the conservatory with great views over the harbour entrance.
Thanks to Gary who organised this and tipped the staff on our behalf.

TUESDAY, June 7th        Emmy 2 decided to depart in order to miss prophesied Thunderstorms which did not materialise,  but everyone else made their way up to Newtown Creek. The tide was still going to the East so it paid to slip along the shore to proviGurnard in the eddy but then as the tide turned  it was a fair beat to Newtown Creek  in about 8 -12 knots. We kept pace for a while with Provident from Salcombe - upon the which one had sailed about 50 years ago.
About half the fleet picked up moorings whilst the rest anchored in the East arm of the estuary - all enjoying the calls of multitudes of Canada geese and Oyster catchers! Pic off SG   

Shortly ---- in the main channel, a small dinghy rowed by a rather elderly gentleman (who happened to be the ex-boss - {very high up in the EC Meat Trade  Association} - of Trevor - [Nomad]} was failing to make against the tide. Coming alongside Steorra, crew  Alan threw him a rope to allow him to take a rest (Steorra was moored with a smaller boat containing Sue’s son who just happened to be sailing here and who later joined in the BBQ). dinghy rescue ntc 2The gentleman's wife on the boat in front then threw a rope and buoy which he caught and then let go of Steorra. . Unfortunately, the wife had not secured her rope so said gentleman was again free floating. At this stage, Gary and Rosemary(SS) appeared, were hailed and invited to take in tow the small dinghy which they did. However, Gary's very lightweight electric engine was not man enough so said gentleman was exhorted to row as well. This combined effort achieved  a maximum speed of around half a knot which did eventually deliver them at wife's boat.                             Picture by Alan and Delia (Steorra)

BYO  BBQ on Beach was organised by Richard and Kevin - many thanks to them - and all was set up by 6 pm  with lots of windbreaks! on the West side of Harbour entrance. A good time was had by all with much BBQ sharing as some of the cheaper models never got hot enough - be advised!
Picture by Mike Tong (Excalibur)

WEDNESDAY, June 8th. Unfortunately, our Captain in Seldom Seen had to leave us for family appointments but we were joined much later at Lymington on the Dan Bran Pontoon by family Christmas in their shared Sunmaid.
Before leaving Newtown, the crew of SG fancied a trip up river to the landing stage and thence the walk to  to the pub at Shalfleet. Unhappily, they were in such good time that  the pub was not yet open and the other cafe up the road was not discovered - so no coffee. Further aggravations for SG as she left necessitated the crew taking the bottle brush to the engine inlet sea-cock whilst floating around in the totally airless millpond outside the harbour.
Excalibur kindly hosted a Pontoon Party after the day cooled a bit and then we all traipsed off in our smart gear to the Royal Lymington YC where we enjoyed their views over the harbour and ate too much of their delicious food - with extra desserts.   
Thanks to June for all her organisation for this event and the Pub in Keyhaven

THURSDAY,   June 9th   dawned dismal, airless and misty. The crews of Nomad and Quiver elected to stay in port whilst most of the other crews walked, bused or biked to
The Gun in Keyhaven for lunch except for Stewpot and SG who ‘sailed’   round to Keyhaven. The forecast was E-SE but not on the way to Keyhaven, where, for some reason, we just had a small W on the nose.
 After a quick lunch we went ashore onto the pebble beach to investigate the local flora
Ray had done a great job with the HMKeyhaven and gained us a 10% reduction on the anchoring fee; however, he failed miserably on the cream tea front, as we unable to get anywhere near the cafe without paying an entrance fee into the castle!. So we had to make do with the rather hazardous but memorable walk around the outside of the castle and back to SG for tea. Preparations for a BBQ on the beach were well underway when Gundog arrived much later due to crew taking an inland train journey -  although this had allowed skipper Paul to walk to The Gun for lunch as well!
Evening - no geese and totally idyllic.                                                                                  Picture by Raymar

FRIDAY, June 10th    SG left Keyhaven early for HISC to get the most of the east-going tide -  but at dead low water - and was thus obliged to burrow through the mud at the entrance - probably left a couple of grooves. The others, only going to Langstone, did not need to leave so early.
Shortly passed by Quiver leaving Lymington doing likewise.  Wind E-SE F3-4 - on the nose all the way  - a  rather boring 5 hour chug except for corkscrewing around Cowes as the wind reached 20 knots.                    


Tuesday, May 24th - Friday, May 27thLandrover42

TUESDAY, May 24th.   It was a good sail over with an E wind going  to SE - which made it a tad difficult to lay the West Pole beacon for those who kept to starboard of the incoming tide.

We were able to watch LAND ROVER foiling around for some time but, later,  it was quite noticeable that it paid to keep in the channel to obtain the best tidal advantage -


China competitionalbeit with some competition!
Actually, we were not all that close - the picture - taken by Rosemary from the other Hunter-  was a bit foreshortened!Folly6

Most of the boats - 13 in all - arrived by about 15.00.

Shardick from Emsworth), Picaro, Aurora, Proud Moment, Seldom Seen, Pendragon and Stewpot (Langstone) all berthed offshore, whilst Nomad, Karma, Dragonfly, Gundog (Langstone),  Excalibur and Sugar Glider rafted up ashore. Louise parked in The Yacht Haven for repairs -  her crew arriving by taxi later.
Good Grub in the Folly for the 35 partaking, preceded by drinks and photos on the pontoon with Gary admonishing us at this stage rather than later.
Many thanks to Margaret for organising this.

WEDNESDAY,, May 25th.  From 9 am onwards we all chuntered up to Cowes YH - except  Picaro, whose crew was not well. At 11.30 we were joined for coffee in the Royal Yacht Squadron by the crew of Sunmaid and three others who had come on the ferry, boosting our numbers to 39. Sir Roger welcomed us and introduced us to ex-naval ‘Commodore’ David Hughes (but not Commodore of the Squadron) who was a renowned historian and gave us a very interesting and informative tour - laced with humorous tit-bits - around the Squadron. This was followed by the lunch of tenderloin of beef  which was exquisite and a then a delight of poached pears made edible by the later production of knives.

The regulation photo-shoot by Tony was next with an enjoyable wander round the gardens to finish.
This left the afternoon for assorted walks and shopping - always a must in Cowes.
Thanks to Sir Roger for inviting us and to Gary for the arrangements.


THURSDAY, May 26th. With a late  HW at 15.22   most people chose to shop a bit more before taking off for Beaulieu. Those leaving early had to motor against the tide but a bit later and Sugar Glider followed Sunmaid up the Gurnard coast tacking downwind in the Easterly and a nice little ebb eddy until crossing over directly to Beaulieu - Gins Farm

resting on nomad‘Sea Echo’   was contacted on Ch 77 for parking instructions and Aurora, with our Rear Commodore Cruising aboard, went over to the offshore pontoon, Sunmaid and Seldom Seen picked up close-by moorings and Sugar Glider, Gundog, Nomad, Stewpot and Excalibur parked on the walk ashore with Shardick arriving later, her skipper having had to make a ferry trip ashore to So’ton for a dentist appointment! 

The Becks - resting on Nomad. John was later congratulated on reaching his 107th birthday - give or take a decade or two.
Meanwhile several of the rest of the fleet did the regulation meander up the gravel track towards the old monastery and watched this springs delightful crop of foals frisking around - at speed
27 of us sat down to supper (£22 for 3 Courses)  which was truly excellent and we all really enjoyed the views and the friendly atmosphere in the club house.
We are all beholden to Gary for taking the plunge to organise this event!landrover bar1

FRIDAY, May 27th.     The late afternoon high tide indicated an early start  - around 9 am - for the return trip to get the best of the East-going tide. A rather light NE meant a bit of tacking until the wind went round to the SE which helped those starting later against the tide.
Land Rover came out of Portsmouth but was not foiling.
Last two pics c/o Raymar.            More pics by Tony  - 


       on Tuesday, May 10th

Report from John Cook -
nomad 2A little drizzle, very low cloud, some fog, no wind, but Nomad, latest addition to the fleet - in picture -  arrived on time with Monica, Trevor, Pat Bovis, John & Barbara Beck on board.
Ray and Margaret came by road with Mike and Angela, as did Richard and Sue and also Paul  Young doing a solo drive. Jenny and I maintained the Social Sailing waterborne ethic, arriving by water (Gosport Ferry from Gunwharf Quay), so fourteen in all had a good and talkative lunch.
The sun appeared in early afternoon, with fog still drifting in and out of Portsmouth Harbour but I think everybody enjoyed their day. 
Nomad -
Picture by Raymar

Thanks to John for his organisation - it would seem that the weather disheartened a number of sailors!


Lyn has done a 7 mile walk across the Downs
for the Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund  - PCRF.
 If you would like to sponsor Lyn’s walk on May 7th
Click here -
Lyn raised over £1000 and says thank you to all her sponsors


The Cruise to Bembridge -  Brading
 May 3rd - 6th

There were various options for this cruise which included supper at Brading Haven YC and lunch at Seaview YC
The tides were not very convenient so several boats - Nomad, Silver Moon, Proud Moment (with Ainsworths crewing),and Excalibur left late on Tuesday afternoon and suffered a cold F5 on the nose. On Wednesday, Seldom Seen,  Picaro and Emmy 2 left at 08.00 motoring all the way with a light wind on the nose and were joined by Gundog from Langstone. Emmy 2 came later for the evening. On Thursday, Sugar Glider and Louise left early and enjoyed a warm moderate breeze on the beam arriving at about 10.30 am  just in time to say hello to Excalibur and Emmy 2 who were departing!  Chimet has at last acquired a new wind vane so SG stopped on the way past to check that it was set correctly or needed to be calibrated on the computer systems. The water temperature is still needing attention and Cambermet is having trouble with her anemometer which may need renewing!
On Wednesday evening, Nomad hosted a rather chilly drinks-on-board for 24 people who later went onto Brading Haven, being presented by Rosemary with stickers with their names - and choice of menu in case they had forgotten! peaceful-bembridge600

Peaceful Bembridge from the office area - by Chris Rayner
Thursday - 21 people gathered just after 12 noon either for the country walk into Seaview - or a bus ride.
The main doors into the club had a  nice little surprise - on shutting the door behind you a large bird-eating spider descended the wall to your left!
Excellent, very reasonable menu  plus coffee with choccy brownies to die for! There had been quite a few alterations over winter so we enjoyed waiter service upstairs, albeit punctuated by starting and finishing guns; Gary gave the staff a fairly large tip from funds and after his speech was joined by Paul   who recounted a small story of when he went into the local chandlery and listened to a woman  buying 5 gas cannisters for life jackets. Apparently, she had washed them as they were a bit grubby!
Poppy had her own kennel  and afterwards went with Lyn to find Lyn’s son.  Chatting to a local, we found out that the beach outside the club - normally rocks - had acquired a meter of sand over the winter. There were also new sandbanks further out which were restricting the racing area for the Mermaids. Meanwhile, the rest of us walked back along the beach at very low water and were able to watch the gravel extraction digger and lorries on the far side of the harbour. We noted that one of the red navigation buoys was well the wrong side of  a new sandbank  when all of a sudden the digger picked it up and moved it further out. This did not seem to be far enough so on instruction from the Harbour Master (or Gordon) - as we later found out  - it was picked up again and deposited correctly on the side of the channel - much to our relief!
It seems that HISC is not the only place to suffer from major sand problems
Back on board with several hours of sunbathing to enjoy.
Leaving about 10 am on Friday morning we had to beat against the tide and a F4 so not  ready for pick up by Selene ( rib) till about 2 pm.

Many thanks to Lyn, Gary and Rosemary for all their organisations.


The Daytrip Cruise to Itchenor SC
on Thursday, April 28th  HW 16.22.  

Didn't quite go to plan!    Mitch was in a meeting so the HISC ferry did not get launched till 10.30. No worries. Seldom Seen (4 aboard), Sugar Glider (2) and Daydream (2) eventually left the moorings in brilliant sun but very little westerly wind. Nomad (5) and Emmy Two came out of Sparks and all ran up to Itchenor. It was very cold - 6* - and  Mel was very worried that she had no spare clothes in case she fell in as she was wearing them all - not that she has ever fallen in!
Just after dropping the sails before Itchenor, the crew of SG spotted a peregrine swooping around over the water - we gather the ones on the cathedral have just hatched four chicks.
Arriving at Itchenor, Nomad picked up the only buoy with no fishing boat on it. SS managed to unravel a dinghy tied to one buoy but SG failed with  another so went alongside SS. It then transpired that Sheila,  in Heron - who had offered to come and do ferry duty (allowing Gary to cancel the Itchenor ferry) was stuck on the Mengham mud with a broken impeller. A bottle or two were brought out whilst the matter was thought over and eventually the Itchenor SC rib was contacted and very obligingly dealt with us. Emmy Two had parked on the pontoon and the crew of 4 were already nicely ensconced in the clubhouse garden along with 7 folks who had come by car.
Although the sun was warm it was decided to eat inside as clouds were imminent. Lasagna or Cod and Chips were delicious and a coffee was offered in with the price.
The Stewarts had to leave early to go to a meeting about the dreadful house that is planned to be built next to them  They are also involved in rebuilding their private pontoon- apparently the old one is full of holes and rust. Let's hope it is ready in time for our visit in August! We wish them luck with both projects.
The idea of a walk was abandoned  and the club ferry delivered us back and everyone - except Daydream - opted to motor home in the face of the flood and a wind rising to 25 knots. It was then a wait on the moorings for about an hour  as, due to the walk idea, times had got a bit muddled and the crew were busy shifting boats around; the new Selene is very wet in a F5-6!
Thanks to Gary for his assorted organisation and imaginative re-organisation several times over.
PS Margaret and Ray won their appeal against the house next door and Gary took a bottle round to Sheila to thank her for her effort and good intentions


Daytrip Cruise to CYC
on Tuesday, April 19th

Well at least it was not blowing for this event - in fact it wasn't blowing at all so it was motoring all the way there and - although a bit of wind materialised for the return journey - it had gone round to the SW so was on the nose  - it was motoring all the way back . Except for Daydream who did hoist the main just out of Chichester but that was as far as she got!

Sugar Glider nearly arrived first -  which would have been a first  - but was overtaken on route by MB Emmy 2. The crew of SG was slightly delayed by having to go into the Lifeboat Station beforehand to mend Chimet. You will not believe this, but someone had got into the computer cupboard on Saturday night and ‘borrowed’ the mains lead to the radio modem. This turned off both Chimet and Cambermet much to the annoyance of many sailors! Barry found that the lead had been replaced by this morning but the software needed to be restarted, which he did, and all was well - although we are still waiting for the Harbour Master’s crew to get out to Chimet and mend the wind vane and water temperature gauge.

Seldom Seen arrived on the pontoon shortly after SG, followed by Trevor and Monica with lots of crew in their magnificent, new Naughticat, NOMAD, and also Aurora, Daydream and MBs Dragonfly and Heron.
Sugar Glider handed out the fizz and nibbles  - thanks  also to other contributors -  and everyone, about 32 altogether, helped celebrate Jane and  Barry's 50th Anniversary.  In the Clubhouse, we were joined by a few more folks who had come by car and we sat wherever in the dining room and enjoyed the usual good fare with views.
People started to leave fairly early especially those with long keels as the tide was dropping rapidly

 A lovely day out with lots of warn sun - eventually  - and many thanks to Trevor and Monica for their organisation.


The first event of the Summer Season
Daytrip Cruise to Itchenor Pub

on Thursday April 7th



The walk was duly accomplished by the fourteen people who met in the car-park, the return journey starting as the rain arrived. Having disposed of muddy boots we met up with  another eight  already installed in The Ship who had opted to  miss out on the walk. The food arrived promptly and, although good,  it had possibly been waiting around  whilst we sorted ourselves out.

Afterwards, before the car-park ticket ran out, Barry made use of the visit to have a chat with the Harbour Master ref getting Chimet mended. To repair the water temperature gauge, the team need to have a very calm day at low water springs in order to fit a new under-water tube. However, mending the wind vane may get done a bit sooner when they have done all their mooring jobs and if the wind drops!

Many thanks to our organiser - Gary who was exonerated for canning the sail by the arrival of the rain at the prophesied time and the cold wind which gradually rose as we walked! - though we did watch a dhow rigged, well reefed sail beating back towards Hayling at one stage - albeit heeling well over.


SGM and Lunch at HISC

on Friday, April 1st at 11.00 am in the Bar

About 40 people attended whilst Gary ran through the Agenda
and forthcoming events, with the usual multi-choice, very good lunch to follow

Click here for Minutes of SGM  2016


on Friday, March 4th

We met in the bar and then filled the seating area for lunch - all seats taken.
Meanwhile, the dining room was being prepared for the Commodores Dinner.
Afterward, Gary introduced the Rear Com Cruising, David Dodson, who explained about the Ferry. Selene would not be usable because of the amount of sand deposited at the end of the pontoon. She would be kept ashore. Meanwhile a black plastic landing craft had been acquired via Appollo Duck. It has a front which folds down to make a ramp to the beach and will carry about 6 people with luggage. It is not ideal, there being problems of how to keep it whilst not in use and how the driver gets to and fro etc, .
The hammer head of the pontoon has been removed for repairs and more may be removed in the hope that the sand may go. It is not safe to try and launch a tender off the end as the sand shelves very steeply and is very soft so slides down.

Gary then did some explaining about the programme
The next event is Lunch at the club on April 1st preceded by the SGM at 11.00
Although two of the motor boats up for sale, it is thought that Mike Durrant and Gill Carter will arrange some more Topless Events around the Harbour.
On May 20th, John Blake is arranging a trip for disabled children and would like more boats to be available if possible.
The first sailing event of the year had to be changed from Dell Quay to the Ship at Itchenor because of the tide error. Precise numbers and menu choices are required by the Pub by April 1st; menus will be advised.
Numbers for The BBQ at Blakes at the end of Social Sailing week will be  limited Provisional bookings will be taken at the SGM; first come first served.
Voting for the referendum occurs during Poole week - so you will need to arrange your postal votes!
Lastly, we are hoping to arrange a visit to RYS (£22 for 2 course lunch) on Weds, May 25th. A show of hands demonstrated that this will probably be viable.

Thanks to the chef and staff for the excellent grub as usual - hot pies etc. or jackets and/or lovely salad


The Cruiser AGM

on Saturday, February 20th

with a Talk

“Bare-boat sailing in the Seychelles”

by Gary Gledhill & Sheila Penfold

followed by the Fitting Out Supper


Lunch at CYC

 on Thursday, February 18th

All 20 folk who had booked, plus one who hadn't,  met in their bar at 12 noon
Organiser,  Trevor, had arranged everything, including yet another lovely sunny day. We had the Quarter-deck room to ourselves with lovely views over the mud -  lots of birds, - ( good for noting where the channel is ) - and over to the hills beyond. We enjoyed th clubs usual very good menu  - puds to die for - but did not afterwards have to struggle with the coffee machine; they have finally abandoned this and coffee was over the bar!

 It was cold but sunny outside for those who went for a very muddy walk - paddle - up to Dell Quay and back; more glorious views and fields full of noisy Brent geese on the winter wheat

Thanks to Trevor again



on Friday, February 5th

Attracted by free wine and canapés, followed by an excellent lunch, there was quite a gathering to celebrate Paul Young's 70th birthday today with about 40 people present. Paul's friends Leonie Austin and her partner Richard Heal were present as was Leonie's Dad, John Gauld. All 3 decided to join SS so Gary collected £15 subs from them on the spot! Angela bought a very small cake to help Paul celebrate and a good time was had by all.

Gary estimates that there are now 16 boats on HISC swinging moorings belonging to SS members, if we count Leonie's Sindia. All we need now is some sunshine!



Friday January 22nd

This event was attended by some 28 folks - some of whom were ESC members who did not therefore have to pay to Monica the £2  ‘admission fee’.
A good lunch with a welcoming menu specially printed out by their chef and in the usual convivial surrounding. After lunch a walk up the beach towards Langstone was the order for some whilst others enjoyed more coffee at the Cave’ house
just a short walk along the beach.

Many thanks to Judy for organising this event.



£57.50 per 2.5 litre can
Please text phone or email your orders to           tel - 07738664038

Arranged by Paul Young


The first event of the year, Lunch at the club on Friday January 8th, was well attended by over 40 people.
Gary's chat went on a bit but was quite humorous as he explained his faux pas (not his word which is unprintable in a nice news-sheet) about his error on tides. Rather than pay money - quite sensible - for a tide table for next year he had googled  and found a free source of tide times. This source had, unfortunately, turned out to be duff and has since disappeared.
However, the error has necessitated changing the first venue, Dell Quay, to Itchenor, and also the Ferry time for the trip to Bembridge. Other events seem to fit in OK and in some instances the timings are actually improved!
So, those people who exist by the Club Calendar - beware; check the website and take note of the Yahoo emails in case other things have to be changed.

Judy Cave talked about the next event at Emsworth - we are looking forward to this - and then the noisy chat continued as peopled gradually drifted away.

Excellent menu as usual, thanks to John the Chef.