Lunch at Hisc

Friday December 7th This was combined with ‘The Ladies that Lunch’ meeting for December so there was quite a large gathering with a talk afterwards. This was given byu Sue Humphries and it was about " The Lord of Hayling's Manor
John produced his normal festive themed HISC buffet, with crackers  on the tables.


 Annual General Meeting 2018

Click here for the minutes

Friday,  November 2nd  at 11.00 am – in the Club House

Followed by lunch at HISC - 


Day trip to Itchenor  SC 

Thursday, October 11th HW 13.37  HT  5.0  Hisc Ferry at 11.00.
Twenty seven members enjoyed the visit to Itchenor Sailing club, although everyone came by car!
 It was blowing hard from the SE with rain forecast imminently. In fact, Emmy Two had a space booked for her on the Itchenor pontoon for the disembarking of our latest ex-Trustee and wife but Mike W-A decided he did not want to risk not getting the boat  lifted back and  to be left in a gale on Sparkes visitors pontoon!  Otherwise, a) the fishing boats were taking up all the visitors moorings and b) the ferry was on the beach!
New member Norman came today. He apparently joined at the beginning of the season but had not managed to come to any event as yet.  Kathy and Dagnall were present - their boat is called ‘Scubacat’ and we learnt that Dagnall does the website for the worldwide Catamaran Cruising  Association - Itchenor 2018and it is somewhat more upmarket than ours. So we had a long chat about that and a few points were mentioned about ours that needed attention. Good to have an interested advisor
Most  of our boats are out of the water or will be soon. Stewpot was out 2 weeks ago and is already scrubbed,  cleaned and polished in readiness for the imminent departure of Ray and Margaret for 6 days to Florida for a friend's 90th birthday party. This is just before they take off for their villa in Teneriffe!
 Itchenor did us proud with their menu, excellent selection with vegs or salads and the chocolate pudding was scrumptious. 


 The picture ( by Dagnall Clutterbuck) is of Mike delivering his last event mini-speech as Captain of the Fleet
TideMeanwhile the tide - high at 13.30 - had arrived and was washing up against the garden wall. Nick told us that on occasion it seeps through and comes up to the bar door and there had been one very rainy day when a flood came down the road, swept through the bar and out to the garden - the tide boards had to be hurriedly removed to allow the flood to escape!
Goodbyes said and the Blaydes set off for a stroll along the foreshore having eventually managed to extend their car-parking time by going on-line to However, with the situation dampening rapidly, they did not get further than the new Quarterdeck cafe in the boatyard. Pros - very good coffee with double shots each time - cons - ultra-dog friendly!
Many thanks to John and Barbara for organising this event for us


Friday,  October 5th
 Lunch at HISC

Apparently, not very well supported  - everyone away or too busy!


Day trip to  Chichester YC

Thursday, Sept  27th     HW 14.40 HT 4.8   Hisc Ferry 11.00 am
Report from Trevor Rose -
5 Boats  23 people
Lovely weather but no wind.
 Although the Quarter Deck was reserved for us we all ate out on the Terrace. I think every body was happy except Pat B whose swede was inedible!
Our leader's new motor catamaran arrived late, it had to wait for the tide at Hayling Yachts(Blake’s), so celebrations are postponed to April!  We must not forget!
Welcome to  new members, Dagnall and Kathy in their Sailing Catamaran from Northney
A great Day

PS.  Sugar Glider was becalmed in Bembridge and the Dodgesons and Gledhills were languishing under the hurricane in Greece.
Lyn proudly reported that she had skippered Proud Moment for the first time, with Paul as crew this trip.


Sept,  Sunday  9th - Friday 14th

rivers 1arivers 2







rivers 3


Extra pictures taken off Nomad in Island Harbour of one of our very popular pontoon Parties - this one hosted by Stewpot 3




Sunday 9th            HW 11.16   HT 5.0   Hisc Ferry  10.00
Visit to Island Harbour
Rather a lot of wind on the nose so everyone that came that day motored except Excalibur! June Dawn came a day early and stayed in East Cowes and Silver Moon came 2 days early for a Legend Rally in Cowes YH. Seldom Seem parked offshore at the Folly to give themselves more maneuverability and the other boats all arrived in time for the free Flow. Nomad  left Sparkes at 9am and had to battle the East going tide all the way, but those leaving half an hour later, Sugar Glider,  Aurora, Gundog and Stewpot, the latter  both from Langstone, were helped by the West going tide. Wodan MB came later at half speed because of the big waves.
The Breeze restaurant did us very well with a separate room with a view and  certain amount of artistry with their dishes. (Pic by Margaret)      There was also a certain amount of artistry along the boats - this spider  - lifesize - was strung across the transom of a large MB with a line to the top of the mast across the walkway!Is Harbour pud sept 18spider        (Pic by Jane)








islandharboursep18Picture of the idyllic setting of Island Harbour with Wodan leaving early to be swapped for Sunmaid
(Pic by Jane)

A great many thanks are due to Margaret for organising this venue. It is not easy collecting numbers for the marina and the restaurant which also required menu choices from everyone!
Stewpot retired to Newport for some relaxation!




Monday 10th         HW 12.37   HT 5.1
Visit to Yarmouth Harbour 10th and 11th September
yarmouth sept 18Berths were reserved  by Lyn on the walk ashore pontoons for both nights. These berths received 10% discounts which did not apply to those parking in finger berths, i.e. June Dawn and Excalibur. The rest of us,  having motored from Cowes either, early in no wind or later in too much on-the-nose again - were parked under the Lifeboat.  Wild Thyme came over from Chichester and managed to sail to the Forts before engaging the motor. After a quick stop  - picking up a mooring in Cowes to mend the tiller  - they also decided to motor the rest of the way. General pottering around and shopping etc with a very nice Pontoon Party held by Silver Moon in the evening - the white boat on the right of the pic.. Pic by Rosemary
Then it was off to the Curry pub which was open 7 days a week - except on Mondays! The Blue Crab and others were substituted.


Tuesday 11th        HW 13.21   HT 5.1
Still in Yarmouth and another windy day preceded by a windy night!
The more energetic caught a bus and walked back over Tennyson down to meet up ‘At the end of the Line Cafe’ with the less energetic who had walked to the pretty cafe at Thorley abandoned railway station to find it was shut Mon and Tues.
Others caught buses, walked to the very interesting museum at Fort Victoria etc etc.
In the evening it was our visit to the Royal Lymington YC where were indeed entertained Royally! It is a lovely venue with magnificent views over the Solent
Many thanks to Lyn for organising this event which was another tricky job as it was so dependent on the weather and how many people would attend!
Lyn had been unable to bring Proud Moment so she,with a friend, cadged boat rides to Island Harbour and then Yarmouth, with B & B ashore , but then returned home via buses to Ryde, Fast Cat to Portsmouth and buses home. Total cost £13 each! Lyn is exceptionally good at arranging

Wednesday 12th HW   14.04  HT 5.0
Was supposed to be Lymington Town Quay but everyone booked into the Dan Bran pontoon
lymington sept18More wind but with the strong East going tide it was a free fetch and most people put up one, two or three sails. On arrival, the harbour Master was un-contactable so we  parked, what we considered to be,  tidily. Later however, this was deemed un-acceptable and we were told to park three abreast and the two big boats had to move. This did not happen ?!  with only Aurora moving to park 3 out but as the next rally that was booked in did not actually seem to arrive,  all was well.
Gary then had long discussions with the RLYC and their chef and 14 of us were again treated royally for dinner similarly with amazing views down the harbour with the ferries and the local children practicing capsize drills.
(Pic by Gary)   and many thanks to Gary for organising all this at short notice. In fact, walking into town for shopping etc, when the rain stopped, it was noted that the Town Quay was very full and as one cannot book it was just as well we landed on the Dan Bran!
 ( Excalibur flag = red dot in the middle)
Walking in the opposite direction towards the marshes, Gary and Rosemary came across a man with 3 falcons - peregrine crossbreds -  in his car. Apparently he was employed by all the Lymington Marinas to keep the birds away from the boats. What a marvelous idea - Sparkes take note!

After the rain cleared and the sun came out the skies stayed clear which meant that that night was very cold.

Thursday 13th      HW 14.46   HT 4.9
Visit to Hamble Point Marina(MDL) =1st marina on port side 
It was an earlyish start to get the tides right and with no wind it was motoring all the way with only Excalibur hoisting sails -  and that was only in order to get them dry before stowage.
The banks come out a long way going past Beaulieu and Gundog made the mistake of going inside the Lepe S Cardinal and had to turn right rather sharply!
June Dawn  went home ready for the holiday in Greece and Silver Moon also did not go to Hamble and they had to get ready for the Boat Show.
hamblepointHamble Point marina is in very pretty surroundings and was easy to get into as it was tucked in along the banks and out of the tide
Dinner for 20 was booked at the Ketch Rigger in the marina and we were joined by the Becks who came by car - John staying on Nomad for the sail home. We were in the plastic covered conservatory so it was fortunate that the wind had dropped. Excellent menu and service and many thanks to Anthony for organising all of this - with the help of our own Nick Willis  who is the Harbour Master here.
 Anthony and Sheila also very kindly hosted a Pontoon party and Wild Thyme found another Contessa friend of long acquaintance
(Pic by Jane. Gundog and Sugar Glider with flag up) There were lovely walks around the harbour and the Common behind the woods and up to the village.
Before leaving, the heavier contents of Excalibur were deposited in the cockpit hatch of Sugar Glider in readiness for Excalibur being left at Deacons for sale. The New MB was to be collected the following day from Hythe marina.

Friday 14th           HW 15.28    HT 4.5 Return to HISC
waverlyEarly start again to get to West Pole before the tide turned west and also  before the forecast of SW4-5 arrived. SS went very early . SG and Nomad left together both forgetting to follow the green markers out of the river. Nomad went aground being further to the North before both turned left into the River exit, leaving the Hamble Point cardinal to starboard. Nomad hoisted their push button sails, engaged the auto pilot and trundled off, leaving the ‘lesser’ boats to contend with a reasonable following wind but with 30 degree shifts.  Nomad is a very well thought-out boat which has allowed the skipper to keep sailing well into his 80s!evileye

THE WAVERLEY - going very fast!
Picture taken by Barry off the back of Sugar Glider winging it across Portsmouth harbour.
Back in Sparkes, just as the wind rose, and we encountered our neighbour - tired of continually scrubbing his decks - hoisting an Evil Eye. We are hoping that it will keep the starlings off Sugar Glider as well!      (Pic by Barry)




The Deck House, Ferry Road,  PO11 0DG

 On Tuesday 28th August 2018  -  HW 13.45    HISC  Ferry at ..10.00

 People started to arrive  by 12 noon on the  patio for BYO Drinks and nibbles and  BYO BBQ food to cook on the BBQ which was scheduled for  1pm  . Margaret provided salad, potato salad and coleslaw which was all delicious. People brought their own crocks etc., and so, hopefully,  there was not much in the way of clearing up afterwards.
Five boats were able to moor on Ray’s pontoon, Nomad, Wild Thyme and Emmy Two in one raft and then Sugar Glider, arriving last as usual, rafting onto Excalibur. As there was very little wind they had all had to motor there  - minding the Langstone winner bank - although Wild Thyme admitted to having touched bottom at one stage.
Ray and Margaret had set up table for about 30 people with four big sunshades and it was a glorious day with sunshine, some cloud and very little windraymar BBQ3
Mike made his mini speech about the next event and then thanked Ray and Margaret, Margaret being  presented with a large pot of lovely  plants and Ray with a special bottle
Unfortunately, Excalibur had to leave shortly afterwards which meant that so did Sugar Glider. In a  way this was fortunate for SG who developed an engine problem in the harbour entrance. As there was a modicum of wind from the south the main was hoisted and Jane tacked about for over an hour whilst Barry battled with weed and crud around the engine intake stopcock! SG was then able to motor sail into Gosport whilst the others went East and home
As ever, a great big thank you to Ray and Margaret for their very generous hospitality.




Monday 13th         HW 13.46   HT 5.0   Cowes - Folly.  HISC Ferry 11.00
Dinner at Folly Inn. Time 1900 hrs
Berthing was on the mid-river pontoons only - so people either used the taxi or brought a tender.
The Berthing Master was called on Ch 69 when nearing  - which was a change.
7 boats came for this and the crews enjoyed a limited menu in the Folly Inn due to a shortage of gas for cooking. This meant only meals that could be microwaved or boiled on electricity could be served - no chips!
Thanks to the organiser  Peter Wareham - although we gather that, as he was not there on the day, someone else took over.

Tuesday 14th        HW 14.33     HT 5.0    Cowes YH  
Dinner was  at Murray's, or the Duke of York, where the service was better and the menu more varied - less fish.
This venue was joined by Toni and Mike Durrant in their new Motor Cruiser
Thanks to Mike Tong for organising this event -

Wednesday 15th  HW 15.18     HT 18 4.9    Hythe Marina
There is 24 access to the Marina. - Call on Ch 80 for lock-in
Berths had been booked and should have been allocated on arrival. However, there was some chaos as the berths allocated were retaken by their owners who had returned early due to the inclement weather and forecast. This meant a phoning around to see if other vacant berths still there would remain vacant! All 7 boats were eventually settled   - although a bit of a problem for the 40 footers
A table for 20  had been reserved at The Boathouse on the Marina for 7pm,  and the food was very good
Many thanks to John Bailey  who organised this event.

Thursday 16th       HW 16.03    HT 4.7 Return to HISC
Most people returned  on Thursday but did not enjoy the heavy rain which lasted for the whole trip. Nomad stayed a day later to meet up with friends and had a lovely sail back on the Friday.




Monday – 20 of us met at HISC for coffees, a chat and delicious cake.

Dinner in the evening at the Club found 30 joining for a great selection of dishes from John (the chef). Naturally, for our summer-up-to date, the sun shone to give wonderful views out onto the Harbour.

Tuesday – 12 by boat and 15 by road voyaged for lunch at the Itchenor pub – again hot and sunny and the food was good but a little pricey.

Wednesday  – approximately a dozen went to East Head for a picnic lunch and fun and games.

Thursday  – Rather a numbers’ disaster as only two boats attended, the Shoebridges with 2 friends in the morning and Excalibur with 4 crew in the afternoon when the tide had risen enough to reach the pontoon. Again, hot and sunny and enough wind for a short sail downwind. The Boathouse Café was pleasant if, again, pricey for the food.

Friday  – the usual good attendance for our annual lunchtime BBQ, this time at Peter and Gusti Taylors’ in Wittering Road, probably the closest garden to the Club (as the crow flies). Salads and puds were generously donated by participants, all consumed ravenously! 50 souls ate and drank in the sun. We thank the Taylors for their great hospitality.


June 26th - July 4th

 Despite the glorious sun , the week did not go quite to plan!

Several folks needed to start out at different times and after hearing lurid stories and experiencing the horrendous easterly swell on route, no-one wanted to park in Studland Bay!

So a day early on Tuesday, Seldom Seen and Sugar Glider left and enjoyed the E, NE until just past Cowes when the wind and water withered to mill-pond mode, returning a little just before the boats entered Yarmouth.

Drinks on Sugar Glider and then off to the Wheatsheaf. Yarmouth was very busy with boats being turned way but the last one allowed  in - French - at 11 pm parked alongside SG and then left at 3 am! SS was similarly rafted out and there was lots of shuffling around on the Wednesday morning as boats on the inside were let out. SS had a problem with broken shanks on the luff of the mainsail. These were transferred to the bottom so the sail could be reefed and sailed safely – but slowly. Leaving at 9 am, SG and SS made good but rolling progress to Poole in the continuing E wind although goose-winging was not nice.  Sailing was better when the wind veered 50 * and came in at 16 knots. Both boats settled into South Deep via the inner passage.

Thursday was walking around Brownsea Island , café for White%20Admiral-smalllunch and then into the Nature reserve oyster-catchers

Oyster catcher with one of their three chicks.    and        Rare White Admiral butterfly found in wild-life garden

Various hides gave views over the big sea lake with hordes of noisy breeding gulls – 220 terns this year with 75 chicks. Further walking gave glorious views over the harbour and middle lake and then it was back to the café for a cuppa and magnificent view to the entrance. Bit of trouble finding the route back to the tenders but had time to watch one lovely little regulation red squirrel. The tenders were high and dry and required lots of paddling over the banks - and mud - to get home!

Meanwhile, Gundog spent the Tuesday night at the Folly Inn leaving next day for NTC and then onto South Deep, arriving about the same time as Stewpot which had spent the previous night in Yarmouth!!

The Skipper of Gundog - Paul - was hailed for help with the anchor rope ofSouth-Deep SG which was wound around the keels. He stayed for drinks etc. and we were joined by Rosemary on her paddle board and then Gary. Stewpot had parked out of sight much further South. Clouds arrived for a few hours, disappeared, to be followed by a wind of galic proportions lasting a couple of hours.P1000211  





 Sunset off SG and Rosemary in fashionable, co-ordinating  gear paddling back to SS.       Pics by Barry

Friday, and after more paddle-boarding, we all moved into Parkstone YC Haven where sunshades were hurriedly erected if possessed. We were joined by Excalibur and Wild Thyme .Excalibur had spent the previous night in The Town Quay and then parked during the day for a swim off Potter’s Point. After some needful showering, we were all invited by Mike and his ‘student’ crew, Candice, to an impromptu pontoon party off the stern of Excalibur.
The new YC was very smart with several balconies and views over all the harbour.
The meal that evening was Tappas and was thoroughly enjoyed by the 11 of us.      
Many thanks go to Mike Tong for organising this very pleasant venue.

Next day, SaturdayExcalibur set off home, SS, SG and Gundog made for Arne, and Stewpot and Wild Thyme thought about life.

The Wych channel to Arne was very shallow but marked with lots of withies. SG anchored, SS came in but decided not to stay as they were worried about getting out early. They met Gundog who turned around with them. Paul decided that as he had had problems with his depth gauge, he was not sure how much water he had undernArneeath him so he decided to return to Cowes. SS went to the furthest reaches of South Deep, going hard aground in the process, and found a beach on the which to land whilst SG went ashore on Shipstal Beach and walked through the RSPB reserve to their café for a cuppa. Back on board with the  tide out, about 30 bar-tailed godwits were watched feeding along the water's edge of Long Island,  only a few meters away.                                                                              View from Shipstal Point to Long Island landing stage on left
As all other boats left for the evening, SG decided to moor in deeper water, only to be aroused at 5 am next morning with the anchor watch sounding off. SG had the anchor rope around the keels again which in deeper water had lifted the anchor sufficiently for SG to slowly be making her way home-wards!


Tie a mooring rope to a large chain clip. Bow person takes this forward and clips it onto anchor rope. Stern person hauls this rope back till taught. Bow person lets off small amount of anchor rope and reties quickly. Stern person hastily winds in rope using Genny winch. As rope becomes vertical, anchor rope will come clear of the backward protruding keel. Mooring rope and clip can then be dragged forward and removed
Alternative is to have heavy chain which will stay on the ground.

Apparently SS had watched a larger fin keel boat having the same problems, but in this case the crew had to dive down to free the rope.

So, on Sunday, SG eventually left at 9 am, managing to keep 0.3 metres under the keel, and as there was NO wind had to motor to Yarmouth keeping a wary eye on the fog bank out to sea. SS, leaving at 5 am just got out of South Deep and then the Swashway and had a lovely fetch with 15-16 knots of NE up to the Needles where they hastily changed course for Hurst. After berthing, they then had time to walk along towards Fort Victoria but found a delightful café before this serving Sunday lunches.
Crews joined forces in the evening and walked to the Red Lion in Freshwater, only to be told by a rather surly staff that they did not serve meals outside in the evening. A very good supper, however, made up for this.

Monday and SS made for NTC with lunchtime visit to Shalfleet whilst SG stayed in Yarmouth for a rest-up day. Walked to Victoria fort and partook of a soggy, partially warmed Jacket potato whilst watching the boats. This included Rod Carr in his catamaran, Duet, which was speeding up the bank, way inside the Sconce Cardinal, either just keeping out of the tide or making use of a west-going eddy? Loads of migrating assorted white butterflies and also spotted a Fritillary further on walk through woods.

Tuesday and with 20 knots + on the nose SG and SS both had to motor home.

Arriving at West Pole 3 gannets were watched circling and swooping low but not actually diving – beautiful birds!

Meanwhile, back in Poole, Stewpot decided to stay rather than go chasing a chowder in Weymouth so walked on Brownsea and then waited out the windy-blows in Deep South coming home on Wednesday with a reasonable wind.

The itinerary of Wild Thyme consisted of Thursday in Yarmouth on the way down, with OK meal in the Kings Head, then onto Parkstone for Friday. Perversely, the crew did try Studland Bay on Saturday but, as said, it was a little rocky, so departed about 17.00 as the wind was good for a fetch to Keyhaven, where they anchored about 20.30 pm just inside the entrance. A lovely spot especially for boats of lesser draft! Unable to depart the next morning until about 09.30 am as they were gently aground. Unfortunately, motored nearly all the way home as the wind was so light.

We decided it was a good all-round week and many thanks to Mike Tong for his organisation.


Tuesday 12th – Friday 17th

 Quiver went over a day early on Monday, to sort things but her progress at the entrance to Cowes  was slightly impeded by the presence of the ’City of Chichester’ – a very large dredger!  Next day, Tuesday, Excalibur, Sugar Glider and Wild Thyme left together in a light and shifty NE wind which eventually disappeared. Excalibur went through the Dolphins but had to motor sooner so got there first. Meanwhile, the others in the main channel were approached, first by a very large foreign tug, and then the Blade Runner coming out of

Parking was in the North side of Shepard’s Wharf with rather tight conditions. Seldom Seen, arriving a little later (due to a struggle getting their SUP aboard) and parked three out, was asked to move as they were restricting access! Silver Moon had come over from Gosport and Stewpot and then Gundog came from Langstone, the latter having to cruise up and down a bit whilst the Marina manager thought about things! Wotan snuggled in behind Silver Moon.
In the evening, David and Julia on Quiver, very kindly hosted a Pontoon Party  and then 15 of us deployed to the Duke of York – Kevin and Richard insisting that they were ‘not a couple’ except for the bill, whilst the remaining 6 tried the Tappas Bar at the entrance to the Marina which they all enjoyed.
Sugar Glider flag . Pic by Rosemary

On Wednesday, Quiver and Wild Thyme left early, as did Seldom Seen in order to refuel. Sugar Glider left next and quickly realising that there was an engine problem, hastily hoisted sails although there was very little wind.  Wotan came over and stood by whilst weed was extracted from the water inlet. All was well and then the wind - SSW – arrived, allowing the boats that started later a nice sail up to Newtown Creek. geese-flotilla-1



Picture of flotilla of Canada Geese taken by Ray Stewart who also spotted a dolphin. SG saw a seal, apparently there is a colony of them in this harbour. The gulls on the wall alongside the east estuary were roosting noisily for most of 24 hours!



ARMY-ARRIVESPicture of Army boats coming up the East arm of the harbour past  Louise (who had  arrived last – single handed - although the boat is all ‘push button’) where they moored overnight and departed next day for manoeuvres in the Solent






BBQ ntc

 At 6 pm, 20 of us gathered where Kevin and Richard had set up the wind breaks at the entrance to the harbour. The wind dropped and a very pleasant evening was had – some say the highlight of the season! – until 8 pm when it started to get a bit misty. Departure time and various boats offered coffee to visitors.


shalfleet pubJPG

T hursday, Excalibur departed for Yarmouth and Silver Moon to Lymington whilst the rest of us waited for the rain to lift, then tendered up to Shalfleet Quay and walked to the Pub for lunch.

Later in the afternoon, 7 of us walked from the outer pontoon round the Hampstead farms – glorious views – but not quickly enough - only to return and find that only one of the tenders was floating and the others had to be hauled across the mud! It was also observed that SS was aground on her mooring and tilted over at 20*. Gary and Rosemary had to sit topside for over an hour before the tide returned sufficiently. Letters to the National Trust are in hand!   Pics by Rosemary

Friday, dawned wall to wall blue so whilst waiting for the tide, Rosemary did the rounds of the boats on her SUP and the crew of SG watched two black backed gulls kill a small chick on the water. With a brisk wind on the nose, most of the boats decided to motor to Yarmouth, only Sugar Glider hoisting sails, hastily reefing and then over-standing the entrance! Stewpot and Gundog had to return home.
All boats safely rafted out on the yellow pontoon and with Silver Moon on the inside hosting a Pontoon Party before all deployed to the Indian curry house. The food was hot, or hotter, if requested! but the noise was horrific, partly due to the presence of a table of bikers behind us!

Next day,  Saturday, Silver Moon moved over to the Haines Yard and joined a rally for Legends and Excalibur and Wild Thyme went home, the latter shearing a rudder bolt  as Chi Bar was reached . However, they managed to get home OK. 
This left SS and SG to do the walk from the Needles and back and Quivers’ crew to go biking, although we did all meet up at the Red Lion in Freshwater.  Getting off the bus at the Needles we met up with a delightful young Chinese couple who, although wanting to go to the Needles point, insisted on following us. We eventually set them on their correct path with the aid of an OS map and lots of sign language. Supper that evening arranged by Gary was at the Blue Crab – very fishy and very good.

Leaving on Sunday after the racing fleet from Emsworth Slipper, which was parked in a row behind us, we encountered a SW 15 – 20 knot wind and the strong east-going tide. Quiver hoisted a full main and SG alongside kept up with a reefed main and genny. SS had a reefed main but added the motor in anticipation of getting to Cowes before all the racing started. After that we all kept pace but SG opted to go for the Dolphins and made it home fractionally before the others. It was reckoned that, at 4 hrs, this was one of the quickest journeys home from Yarmouth. SG then had major problems with the broadside wind getting back into her berth in Sparkes – not helped by first turning into the wrong channel. Help was at hand fortunately!

Many thanks go to David and Julia for their overall organisation and the Pontoon Party, to John for the Silver Moon Party and organising the Curry supper and to Gary for the Blue Crab outing.





The weather for Tuesday looked fairly awful so Sugar Glider opted to leave on Monday , with rather gentle but variable winds, and spend two nights in Gosport. Tuesday morning was passed sitting warmly in the Marina cafe drinking coffee with brother-in law.  Meanwhile -

Tuesday, May 29th   HW 12.23   HT 4.6    Hisc Ferry 09.30
Visit to Folly Inn

Reports from Margaret
On Stewpot, we had  winds of 9-17 knots and a very lengthy ‘shower’ but we made up to 7 knots with just the Genoa. In all a good passage (Nomad reported they made 8.5 knots but had all the main and half their Genny up).  There were 8 boats, 6 on the walk ashore and then 2 on the mid river pontoon. The latter were Steora and Freya who had only decided that morning to come. Freya is owned and skippered by Andy Marshal, a recently retired gentleman and our latest new member to the fleet. Silver Moon, arriving early had already parked on the Mid River Pontoon but the Folly Harbour Master, Dave, told him that as there were only 6 boats booked on the walk-ashore he could just as well join Stewpot, Quiver, Louise, Gundog and Seldom Seen.
The food in the Folly was a little mixed, some good some not so, but a good evening was enjoyed by 18 members.

Wednesday, May  30th   HW 12.15  HT 4.6
Visit to Island Harbour Marina

The crews of Steora, Nomad, Quiver, Stewpot, Gundog, Silver Moon and Sugar Glider were joined by those of Seldom Seen who opted to stay moored at the Folly and walk whilst all the other boats enjoyed the free flow in and out of the lock and then drinks and nibbles on the pontoon by Stewpot. Louise meanwhile had gone off to the East Cowes Marina for a spot of sightseeing. Several of the crews made a sortie - along a very new posh path - into Newport for vital shopping or just a coffee.  Terry - Gundog crew - bought himself a pillow having suffered from a stiff neck due to new, rather hard foam cushions!
Dinner at the Breeze restaurant,  which was very good, was enjoyed by 17 of us

Many thanks to Margaret for organising both these days

Thursday, May  31st   HW 13.39   HT 4.6

Before leaving, the offering of  prosecco and chocolate cake was down graded to bring your own coffee,  cake provided, on the pontoon  and then further downgraded to Monica and Celia bringing large slices of the cake around to the boats as there was rather a heavy drizzle! The cake was a monster 3 layered edifice left over from an earlier birthday party of several monster cakes!

Visit to Bucklers Hard
The weather was so dismal and languid that no-one even bothered to unwrap their sails in anticipation! After a motor trip across the Solent and up the river,  the 8 attending boats, Quiver, Silver Moon, Nomad, Stewpot, Seldom Seen, Sugar Glider, Gundog and Freya, endured a slightly chaotic mooring manipulation on the walk-ashore fueling pontoon. Terry, crew to Gundog, unfortunately was required elsewhere and ordered a taxi to take him to Lymington. Several crews settled down for a nap after lunch aboard, whilst others, who had eaten on the way over, had a quick toes up and then did the lovely river walk into Beaulieu for a cream tea  - or  part of one thereof -  at the ever popular garden center!.
Returning home, the pontoon party given by David and Julia for was found to be in full swing. This was soon followed by a short walk up to the Master Builders’ Pub for supper. Food and service was v good and v quick!

Many thanks to David and Julia for arranging this visit

Friday, June 1st   HW 14.17  HT 4.5
Several boats planned to leave at about 8 am to get the full benefit of the East-going tides. Again the day dawned dank and dismal but by about 10 am as the boats were going either through the Forts or the Dolphins, a nice SSW filled in allowing a good 5 knot fetch home-wards.



Friday, May 18th   HW 4.32 HT 4.8
Kids out on the Water' -  37th annual event

Although 3 schools dropped out, there were still 7 sending children down to Blake's for this event. In all, 82 children, all mentally and/or physically handicapped,  took part sailing in 28 boats all gathered together by John. 2-3 children went on each boat with 1-2 helpers. John tells a story of one little boy on his boat - the child was steering with John having a helping hand standing behind. The boy suddenly slapped John's hand off the wheel and said ‘ I can do this by myself’. He  never said another word all day but obviously enjoyed himself. John, who organised all this, was immensely satisfied  with the pleasure all the children derived from the day



Monday, May 14th    HW 11.28  HT 4.5  Hisc Ferry 10.00
Visit to Port Solent Marina 
 A rather fresh NW gusting up to 23-27 knots reduced sail down to a reefed Genny on most boats although Louise carried a main heavily reefed and with her self tacking blade was able to beat up to the Portsmouth channel, whereas all other boats dropped at the Dolphins as the wind headed.
Yachts  monitored Channel 11 Queen’s Harbour Master  on the way in and
Called Port Solent VHF Radio Channel 80 on reaching pile No. 78
No problems locking  in and all the boats - Gundog, Stewpot, Sugar Glider, Nomad, Louise, June Dawn and Excalibur were all berthed within chatting distance
Dinner was at - The Sir Alec Rose, Wetherspoons, where we had been allocated  a dedicated area with tables arranged around a bend.
Three people, driven by Hazel, came by car boosting our numbers to 29.
A very good menu with free drinks thrown in with some dishes! -
Many thanks to  Paul Young - the organiser for this event

Tuesday, May 15th   HW 12.10  HT 4.8  HISC Ferry 09.00
Visit to Bembridge
 A slightly reduced N wind meant that most people had a leisurely trip across with just Genny although Excalibur bravely hoisted her main just through the lock.
Berths were reserved on the Duver Pontoon, Bembridge Marina, for both nights and we were joined by Seldom Seen, Karma, Proud Moment, Steorra and Aurora..Bembridge-2018-1. Stewpot had to turn home to attend to news of a family illness.
Dinner was at Brading Haven YC   where we all enjoyed their  Swan Menu with very good and quick service
As the causeway was at the moment closed, the taxi service was running at a reduced rate to take all of us there and back to the YC
Many thanks to Lyn for organising the dinner and the marina

Wednesday, May 16th   HW 12.55  HT 4.8
Lunch at Seaview YC 
It was raining! - after two gloriously sunny days. Fortunately it stopped for Louise to set off home early albeit in a strong NE wind - not very nice - and for the remainder to walk or taxi to Seaveiw for lunch; although some went off on their bikes and a small group opted to go to the Crab cafe by water taxi
 Assorted walks to Seaview where lunch was served upstairs and 19 of us enjoyed fish and chips or the traditional chicken curry. Thanks to Gary for organising this event.
Mandatory walk to the Nature reserve afterwards and to note that the “beach huts” have now all been sold allowing sleep-ins - for £150K!  Then it was walk back across the fields, or along the beach which was not a good idea as the tide had not dropped enough ordaining use of the muddy, steep path through the woods up the cliff. This was not enjoyable and ONE will certainly not do it again!Bembridge 2018 2
Meanwhile, Gordon the Bembridge Harbour Master was organising a Fire Practice involving 3 fire engines, the police and all the rescue ribs from the sailing clubs. We were not involved with this but did note that before-hand all our ropes left on the pontoon were tidied up!
 As it was now blowing 25 knots from the N and very cold, the pontoon party to be held by Gundog was, sadly, abandoned

Thursday, May 17th   HW 13.42  HT 4.9
Still blowing strongly from the N  so that those boats leaving at about 11.00 had to beat beyond the Harbour. Sugar Glider, leaving an hour later having coffeed up at the Baywatch, encountered the S wind immediately and so had a gentle jaunt home-wards, leaving Seldom Seen to the tender mercies of Gary, the local engineer



Thursday, May 10th.  HW 07.50   HT 3.7  Ferry 10.00
Day Cruise to Haslar Trinity Light Ship for Lunch

It was a lovely sunny day - it usually rains for this one - with a brisk wind of 15-20 knots just N of W. This allowed  Nomad and Excalibur  from HISC and Stewpot and Gundog (single handed) from Langstone to fetch along the coast. - all carrying at least one sail and Nomad hoisting the mizzen as well. (Nomad on left of pic below in distance)
The 15 of us were welcomed aboard the Lightship and enjoyed a very good menu  in a comfy ambiance - albeit not outside on the top deck viewing all the  boat activity  as it was deemed a little too windy.
Mike’s speech  - where he was telling us that  Excalibur is shortly to go on the market to be replaced by an MB  - was abruptly interrupted by the Harbour Master who informed us that two of the boats had been overcharged and one had not as yet paid. This initiated  a transfer of fivers to satisfactorily sort finances. Mike also announced that he would be away for a while so Jane offered to take over the Yahoo reminders again!

Lots of chat on the pontoon as the boats prepared to leave.  pic by Jane      Haslar-18-2  There was still a brisk following wind as the boats eventually made their way home-wards with, Excalibur with the genny half down as the roller had jambed! (Pic by Barry)
Many thanks to John Cook for organising this interesting event.


Tuesday, May 1st.  HW 13.21  HT  4.7  Ferry at 10.00
Day Cruise to Dell Quay SC for Lunch

The weather was rather a concern with winds of up to 28 knots and rain forecast for the return journey. Stewpot opted out as a sail over the bar with a SW on the ebb was not fancied and Emmy 2 also decided it might be a bit bumpy for their small MB.
However, after lots of discussions,  Seldom Seen and Aurora made the journey up under Genny and Excalibur was watched lowering her main at the entrance to the Dell Quay Channel. Communications were instated on Ch 8 regarding which buoys to pick up and Alan and Delia Clarke, this year in Artemis from the Club, did all the ferrying honours here and back with Seldom Seen on the visitors buoy
Several people came by car quite early and sat in the sun in the club room enjoying the view and watching the boats come in.
Lunch this year was a much appreciated hot salmon and spinach lasagne with dessert and coffee. Gluten free or fish free alternatives were especially provided and all 25 Social Sailors  agreed that everything was totally delicious!  The puds were particularly yummy!
The Dell Quay members looked after us wonderfully and made us all very welcome
Chat from Roy from Dell Quay -
It was so good to see your people relaxed and enjoying each other's company today, and what a blessing it was to have the sun shining, especially after yesterday.  It was reported to me that there were lots of empty plates so it seems the Dell Quay team got it right!
Herewith the recipe and hope you enjoy

Béchamel Sauce            Lasagne
75 butter                            25 g butter                                      2 garlic cloves, grated
75 g plain flour                 Large leek cut into strips          8-10 sheets of lasagne
850 ml milk                       400 gm baby spinach               sprigs of dill to garnish
300g cheddar grated      400 gm smoked salmon
Heat oven to 180c and make the cheese sauce.  Set aside.
For the lasagne, melt half the butter in a heavy-based pan over a medium-low heat. Add the leek strips, season and sweat gently for 2–3 minutes. Add the spinach leaves, a handful at
a time, along with the garlic.  Cook for another minute or two. Drain off/squeeze out the excess liquid.
Butter a large square or rectangular ovenproof dish. Cut the smoked salmon into small pieces, roughly 2 cm square.
Spoon a layer of the sauce over the bottom of the dish and layer a third of the lasagne sheets on top, followed by half the leek and spinach  and half the smoked salmon.  Repeat the layering and finally top with a third layer of lasagne and a good covering of sauce.    Top with grated Parmesan if you wish.
Bake for about 45 minutes until the top is a deep golden colour. To check that the lasagne is cooked, insert a knife in the middle; it should meet with minimal resistance.
Scatter the chopped dill on top of the lasagne and serve, with a crisp green salad on the side

Mike's  speech thanked Jane, the organiser, the dedicated Dell Quay caterers and their club member helpers - who were presented with  boxes of chocolates - and also Alan and Delia (with a bottle of wine) for their heroic efforts (anticipating the return journey) with the rib. Aurora actually offered to take them on board and tow the rib alongside if it got really bad!. No sails on the way back!
Bit from Gary - A really good day, great value for money and excellent food.  Not too cold on the return motoring. We were overtaken by the "faster boats" about half way home (chalkdock) but they had to wait in the rib whilst we locked up! All off the water by 3-50pm
 In fact, the rain did not materialise, and although the winds did gust up to 25 knots the sun stayed out all day!


Thursday, April 26th.   HW 09.49     Ferry at 10.00
Day Cruise to  Itchenor SC  for Lunch

Three boats sailed from Hayling, Seldom Seen and Nomad hoisting a genny and Excalibur putting up two sails despite the westerly wind gusting at 25 knots on occasion! Rather cold but nice and bright and sunny so the 29 of us were able to sit outside the clubhouse for pre - lunch drinks. Wisely, we all decided to go inside for lunch as the prophesied rain came in on deadline at 13.15!
Nick and his crew served some excellent fish - Cod and chips or melt in the mouth Cajun or gluten free Salmon steak with veg or salad - and samphire - delicious!
There were also some rather yummy looking desserts.
The Club Rib kindly acted as Ferry for the boats who set off -  after some speechifying  and thanks to the club staff - in the rain whilst others went for a very short walk - in the rain.
Tidbit from Gary on Seldom Seen - Seldom Seen was caught in the worst of the hail storm and so severe for the shipper that he had a very red face in the evening.  I go on the helm when motoring in rough conditions, notice!
Very many thanks to John and Barbara Beck for organising this popular event


Thursday, April 19th.   HW 14.42      Ferry at 10.00 
Day Cruise to Chichester YC for Lunch

Wild Thyme hitched the ferry a bit early and was off the mooring by the time Sugar Glider, Nomad, Emmy 2 and Swift Wind came out of Sparkes. Cathy and Terry Shoebridge plus dog, aboard Swift Wind, had been members for a couple of years but had not been able to join in last year. Fantasy set off rapidly in good order and Seldom Seen, with Paul Cook confidently on the helm, cut their own passage through the John’s Folly swash-way  with 20 cm to spare. They undertook  Sugar Glider who had rather over-stood things towards East Head in the very shifty, but sail-able 10 knots of SE wind.
We parked on the Waiting Pontoon( £5) with Trevor directing and assisting the nine boats. Most of the boats were on the inside  - bit shallow! - as the Lock was very busy and the outside was needed for waiting boats. One of the rather large Itchenor sightseeing boats was also parked there.
Sugar Glider was greeted by Trevor with -‘you are just past the very shitty part of the pontoon’. Incorrect! Jane jumped off to tie up and was promptly shat on, and very liberally, from a great height!
Excalibur arrived and just fitted on the end and the final arrival, Christina D - Skipper Norman - who had joined the fleet that day - parked alongside.
Six people had come by car and joined us for drinks on the pontoon.
On debarking - Hazel had difficulty walking so a wheelchair - very kindly supplied by the Club - was acquired by Margaret.
Up to the Club, where picnic benches were found right by the waters edge - some in the shade if required - and the food arrived in short order despite the Club being so busy - that is - apart from the 38 of us and one dog!CYC-2018-2-small
Not much wind for the return journey so no sails and we hope Fantasy was OK as her engine was stuck in gear!
What a fantastic day to start the season - wall to wall sunshine with Cambermet displaying a temperature of 20 * 
Many thanks to Trevor - and Monica - for organising this event with their usual attention to detail and welcome assistance on the pontoon.



SPRING MEETING.   FRIDAY, APRIL 6th 2018-         

 A rather windy day which did not deter the Teras and Fevas from catching up on their Winter Training whilst we lunched!

Minutes of SGM - Click here for  - Social Sailing SGM Minutes 2018.pdf

Minutes of SGM - Click here for - Social Sailing SGM Minutes 2018 doc x






A glorious sunny day and Trevor had reserved the Conservatory for us - although he was then  slightly bothered that it might get too hot! No worries and we enjoyed their usual excellent menu although we gathered it had been changed for the evening to something more up-market. However,  their Commodore - Tony Mobbs who came up for a welcoming  chat with Barry - they both belong to the same Computer club - explained that we still had our usual ‘pub grub’ for lunch.
Mike made his thank-you speech and mentioned the next events and that Dell Quay is now back on the programme on May 1stCYC
Usual walks afterwards - up to Birdham to monitor the progress of the Marina - always interesting. Today works were in hand removing a load of pontoons seemingly imported to support machines for dredging inside the Marina.
Thanks to Monica and Trevor for their organisation


 A reasonable day but with a cold wind not conducive to working on your boat!

 30 of us gathered in the adults bar and eventually migrated to the Restaurant to partake of John’s ever delicious menu and where we had a good view of trials being held on a foiling trimaran, necessarily accompanied by a rib!
Later a couple of Moths went out and there was the buoy laying barge maneuvering  just off the pontoon. One valiant cruiser went out of the harbour entrance  but then  returned

.. ...............................................................

LUNCH AT EMSWORTH SC. Friday January 26th

It was a lovely sunny day for our visit to Emsworth SC. The sunlight glinted gloriously off the miles of surrounding mud  alive with multitudes of winter visiting birds feeding around the edges of the channels Picture by Paul on Lyn's Camera.


 About 30 of us met in the  relaxing atmosphere of the sunlit Clubhouse and enjoyed a delicious and varied menu served and waited upon by the attentive waitresses one of whom also took this photo!


Many thanks to Judy Cave for arranging this outing . She enjoys doing this but admits to finding it a bit stressful sorting out the number of actual attendees for the benefit of the chef!
Several folks went on round to the Caves’  house afterwards - Rosemary on route back to her car at Langstone. Others did the usual plod and back along the beach  which was actually - due to sunshine - quite busy!


LUNCH AT HISC  Friday, January 5th

Lovely sunny day but still windy
Good turnout with over 30 folks and Lyn’s grandchildren - behaving very nicely!